How Long Can Your Tank Survive Without Power

Saltinthedesert

@Cory
We just lost power in my neighborhood on the Eastside. While not uncommon, it’s the first time it’s happened since I got my three tanks. 

Question 1: Which tank should I prioritize in terms of doing something?

Tank 1: endlers, BN plecos, Nerite Snails, yellow shrimp

Tank 2: Bolivian rams, flag acaras, king tiger pleco, clown pleco, Upside-down cat, glass fin tetras, German blue rams

Tank 3: Bloody Mary shrimp, BN pleco, Norman’s Lampeyes, Chili Rasporas

Question 2: I’m assuming the highest concern is temp changes? Then oxygen? What do I do?

Pretty concerned so appreciate any input. Utility company says working on getting back up in 2 hours, but the track record is almost always WAY longer. 

Thanks. 

CC6E62C3-AFAD-4C50-9399-67B83BDE16F9.jpeg

CB6B5A8D-8634-4EE4-880E-A4D16BD2A19E.jpeg

EF200106-2B40-4A08-B13A-B116804449C6.jpeg

What tank to prioritize is fairly subjective. Thats really up to you. 

I second sleepy's post. Oxygen will pass through the water surface just fine, and if those plants are real, they will provide plenty. The real worry is temp change, then lack of filtration. The more established the biome, the longer it can go without filtration. I've personally gone 2 days without power without ill effects to a tank. And yep, it was nerve wracking.

• Like 2

I didn't experience a power outage, but it might have been one. I forgot to plug my canister filter back in after a water change. I realized something was wrong when I was adding fish and asked myself what what that smell? The canister was un plugged for at least 2 days, and likely 3. The tank was not overly stocked, but I was dealing and still dealing with high Nitrate levels.

I didn't have a quarantine tank or any other tank to use so, I plugged it in and crossed my fingers.

the smell was bacteria die off I assume, but things did come back to close to 'normal' in a few days.

Fish: 14" common pleco, 2 pearl gourami's, 6 neon tetras, 3 cories, 4 harlequin rasbora, 2 otto's and a bunch of snails in a 72.

This is my story for what it's worth.

I am in the process of getting my generator set back up so I can sweat this a little less.

Hope your power comes back soon.

Thanks. Yeah I suppose that’s a similar situation. Generator makes a lot of sense, I’ve looked into it in the past, but the ones that wire into your panel are not cheap. 

42 minutes ago, Dandy Pearl said:

I didn't experience a power outage, but it might have been one. I forgot to plug my canister filter back in after a water change. I realized something was wrong when I was adding fish and asked myself what what that smell? The canister was un plugged for at least 2 days, and likely 3. The tank was not overly stocked, but I was dealing and still dealing with high Nitrate levels.

I didn't have a quarantine tank or any other tank to use so, I plugged it in and crossed my fingers.

the smell was bacteria die off I assume, but things did come back to close to 'normal' in a few days.

Fish: 14" common pleco, 2 pearl gourami's, 6 neon tetras, 3 cories, 4 harlequin rasbora, 2 otto's and a bunch of snails in a 72.

This is my story for what it's worth.

I am in the process of getting my generator set back up so I can sweat this a little less.

Hope your power comes back soon.

I just deactivated my last canister filter for this very reason all of my tanks are now powered by sponge filters and air pumps and 3 hob's. You could do battery backups, battery powered air pumps and I also have portable usb power banks to use coop usb air pumps if I had to.

• Like 1