Fish safe silicone

Brandon p

As many of you know I am getting things back to viral after a heart attack. During the the time in hospital one of the tanks leaked 3/4 of  the water was missing. In need to reseal the joints in the glass. I’m looking for something. Fish safe and I was maybe thinking about using black as this is. Normally a grow out tank thank many people don’t see. Any ideas. I can’t drive yet but I want to try to order it today.

Any pure silicone sealant is useable stay away from those marketed as bathroom sealant as they often contain anti fungal agents that we don't want in the aquarium.

I used this last time I needed some 

BOND IT CLEAR HA6 RTV Silicone Sealant Marine Aquarium Safe Water Fish Tank Adhesive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BBIARNA/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_4D420PTFSYMJQ2B5HEHC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 5:52 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Any pure silicone sealant is useable stay away from those marketed as bathroom sealant as they often contain anti fungal agents that we don't want in the aquarium.

BOND IT CLEAR HA6 RTV Silicone Sealant Marine Aquarium Safe Water Fish Tank Adhesive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BBIARNA/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_4D420PTFSYMJQ2B5HEHC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you, I was now set on a black I was just shared to know why the charge so much or when they build a custom tank with it. I have just used the small tube for jus aquariums if I have ove seem but it gets to be expensive. I’m going to just redo all them seems since I dont

On 3/4/2022 at 4:08 PM, Gideyon said:

I believe there is something called aquarium silicone.    

Yes there is but some is the same as stuff from the hardware store just 3 or 4 times the price because it’s labeled for aquariums. Have a small amount in case it’s something small and it’s on hand so no waiting. Since Im going to do the whole thing I would like to keep cost down and be safe. Thank you the input.

I have had success using ASI Aquarium silicone. It is available on amazon in black or clear, rated for use in aquariums, fish safe.

I havent used the ge1 since they changed the packaging a year or more ago. When I did use it, it wasnt for seams that hold aquarium pressure. I figure why risk it for a small cost savings. With the ASI it says right on the package "tested to withstand constant stress on aquariums up to 750 gallons"

PXL_20220305_030552754.jpg

Edited by StevesFishTanks
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 1:39 AM, Brandon p said:

set on a black

Black could look good just check the labels .

I have discovered that the basics silicone at our hardware chain store is also safe (additive free) which is handy to know as I sometimes use it on heavy hardscape so it stays put better in my very thin substrate.

• Like 1

Thank you, I was now set on a black I was just shared to know why the charge so much or when they build a custom tank with it. I have just used the small tube for jus aquariums if I have ove seem but it gets to be expensive. I’m going to just redo all them seems since I dont

Thank you, I was now set on a black I was just shared to know why the charge so much or when they build a custom tank with it. I have just used the small tube for just aquariums if I have ove seem but it gets to be expensive for all. I’m going to just redo all them seems since I dont know which one it is and you can’t really just do one seam in black. I ended up buying what @StevesFishTanks recommended ASI.