Anubias Alternates?

My 10-gallon tank is currently planted with Java and Anubias. However, I was a lucky winner of the dreaded "Anubias Rot" so I will most likely not be able to add Anubias in the future. I already lost my Barteri and Nana Petite. I had two Golden Anubias attached to my driftwood, and I discovered the rot on one yesterday. So far the other one is still hanging on (although I'm fully expecting to lose it as well).

Are there any other small, low light, epiphytes I can add to my drift wood besides Java moss (I have some of that already)?

Aww that sucks, I love anubias.

Some Bucephalandra would work, very low light, gourgoues little plant and a rhizome plant. All though compared to anubias it can be quite pricey. In canada I've found some buce for as low as $10, and as high as $15.

Some other species of java fern might interest you as well. Some that come to mind would be, Thors Hammer, Windelov, I've seen "Java Fern Petite". Lots of cool option for you.

Other low light plants that I've found great sucess keeping with very little work would be some cryptacoryne. All though its not a rhizome plant. Give it some root tabs and itll be smooth sailing from there.

Edited by FrozenFins
  • Like 1

@FrozenFins ~ I love my Windelov Java, and all my other Java is doing well. I didn't know there was a Petite variety or Thor's Hammer! I'll look for those. As long as it doesn't die, I don't mind spending more $$ for a plant :classic_laugh: I feel that way about my houseplants as well.

I haven't ventured into root tabs yet. I don't know why I'm hesitant, but maybe I will have to go there and try some crypts.

• Haha 1

If you only have epiphytes you don’t need root tabs.  Ferts should be dosed in the water column.  Try Easy Green from ACO +/- Easy Iron depending on your source water.  You can search for aquarium epiphytes to get you started.  Some are easy, some are medium difficulty, some are challenging.  Cross reference EVERYTHING because some sites have slightly to wildly inaccurate information.

Cryptocoryne can also be grown as epiphytes.  Crypts come in many different species, as well as different varieties and colors.  Some of the rare, very colorful, or unusual ones fetch very high prices.  There are plenty that are inexpensive that have interesting colors or textures.  Look for Crypt. wendtii ‘Red’, ‘Bronze’, or ‘Green Gecko’, Crypt. spiralis, pontederiifolia - looks the most like an Anubias IMO, ‘Rosen Maiden’ is very pretty, but usually more pricey, axelrodi has nice markings, usteriana gets extremely tall, aponogetefolia also gets very tall, ‘Pink Panther’ AKA ‘Pink Flamingo’ is said to be another variety of Crypt. wendtii, but can be a bit fussy.  If you keep looking, you’ll find something you like at a price where you’re comfortable.

There are many Java fern varieties if you do some searching, some even have a touch of orange on the tips of the fronds under the right conditions.  Search for Java fern: sunrise, fish tail, Windelov, Thor’s hammer, narrow, narrow mini, petite, Philippines, Philippines mini, needle leaf, mini, kiat, lettuce, coral, and I’m sure there’s more.

Bucephalandra have a nice variety of colors and sizes, but most have a fairly similar leaf shape.  You will have to look a bit harder for the ones with different leaf sizes, shapes, and colors.  You will also most likely have to pay a higher price for the less common ones.  Red dagger is nice, phoenix, brownie blue, brownie purple, biblis, Catherine, mini Catherine, black pearl, angel’s tears is tiny, red under is very big for a Buce.  There are so very MANY different varieties.

Having some Anubias rot doesn’t mean all will.  I would give it a few weeks past the last one rotting, do multiple water changes, and consider trying again.  I’ve had some that I’m pretty sure died of rhizome rot but it didn’t spread to any others in that tank.  I’ve also had Anubias plants that rotted from extreme conditions (too hot or cold) during shipping and it can take days to weeks to manifest.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/1/2022 at 5:19 PM, Odd Duck said:

If you only have epiphytes you don’t need root tabs.  Ferts should be dosed in the water column.  Try Easy Green from ACO +/- Easy Iron depending on your source water.  You can search for aquarium epiphytes to get you started.  Some are easy, some are medium difficulty, some are challenging.  Cross reference EVERYTHING because some sites have slightly to wildly inaccurate information.

Cryptocoryne can also be grown as epiphytes.  Crypts come in many different species, as well as different varieties and colors.  Some of the rare, very colorful, or unusual ones fetch very high prices.  There are plenty that are inexpensive that have interesting colors or textures.  Look for Crypt. wendtii ‘Red’, ‘Bronze’, or ‘Green Gecko’, Crypt. spiralis, pontederiifolia - looks the most like an Anubias IMO, ‘Rosen Maiden’ is very pretty, but usually more pricey, axelrodi has nice markings, usteriana gets extremely tall, aponogetefolia also gets very tall, ‘Pink Panther’ AKA ‘Pink Flamingo’ is said to be another variety of Crypt. wendtii, but can be a bit fussy.  If you keep looking, you’ll find something you like at a price where you’re comfortable.

There are many Java fern varieties if you do some searching, some even have a touch of orange on the tips of the fronds under the right conditions.  Search for Java fern: sunrise, fish tail, Windelov, Thor’s hammer, narrow, narrow mini, petite, Philippines, Philippines mini, needle leaf, mini, kiat, lettuce, coral, and I’m sure there’s more.

Bucephalandra have a nice variety of colors and sizes, but most have a fairly similar leaf shape.  You will have to look a bit harder for the ones with different leaf sizes, shapes, and colors.  You will also most likely have to pay a higher price for the less common ones.  Red dagger is nice, phoenix, brownie blue, brownie purple, biblis, Catherine, mini Catherine, black pearl, angel’s tears is tiny, red under is very big for a Buce.  There are so very MANY different varieties.

Having some Anubias rot doesn’t mean all will.  I would give it a few weeks past the last one rotting, do multiple water changes, and consider trying again.  I’ve had some that I’m pretty sure died of rhizome rot but it didn’t spread to any others in that tank.  I’ve also had Anubias plants that rotted from extreme conditions (too hot or cold) during shipping and it can take days to weeks to manifest.

So far I only have epiphytes so I'm not using root tabs (I've been avoiding plants in the substrate to start out). 

I didn't realize crypts could be grown as epiphytes! I went with Anubias and Java because I heard they were the easiest beginner plants. :classic_laugh: I'll be sure to do thorough research and check out your suggestions.

My Anubias Rot was accompanied with a very foul rotting garbage smell, which I've heard is one sign of the official "Anubias Rot" although Anubias can have rhizome rot for other reasons. At least that is what I've read in my research, and it does seem to be taking out all my Anubias, one at a time... I might still be brave down the road and try them again later, or in a different tank.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:29 PM, AndreaW said:

So far I only have epiphytes so I'm not using root tabs (I've been avoiding plants in the substrate to start out). 

I didn't realize crypts could be grown as epiphytes! I went with Anubias and Java because I heard they were the easiest beginner plants. :classic_laugh: I'll be sure to do thorough research and check out your suggestions.

My Anubias Rot was accompanied with a very foul rotting garbage smell, which I've heard is one sign of the official "Anubias Rot" although Anubias can have rhizome rot for other reasons. At least that is what I've read in my research, and it does seem to be taking out all my Anubias, one at a time... I might still be brave down the road and try them again later, or in a different tank.

Do you have a separate tank, bucket, or tote you could put currently unaffected plants into to see if you can save them?

On 3/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, AndreaW said:

@Odd Duck ~ I only have one Anubias left and it's glued to the large piece of driftwood, so not very removable. I was pretty sad at first, but I guess this is just the push I need to venture out and try new plants!

Good way to look at it!  There are so many beautiful aquarium plants available these day.  Do some reading and see what lights you up.  Check the parameters they prefer to make sure they aren’t too far off your water and light and you should have plenty of options.

• Like 2

I find it odd that you’ve had multiple species of anubias that have all gotten rot. Are they all from the same source? I’d consider a dip of the plants from the same seller upon receipt to start from scratch - choose your own adventure when it comes to plant dips I’m partial to h2o2. 

If they are coop plants they’ll refund you most likely but if they’re tube plants from big box probably not. If another online source will depend. 

You can induce rot if you get too much cryoacrylate gel super glue on the roots. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:29 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

If they are coop plants they’ll refund you most likely

Yes they were and all in the same shipment. I emailed ACO when it happened to the first two and they refunded me for all the Anubias in my order once they confirmed it was Anubias Rot. It was a great customer service experience. They also said if I added new Anubias it could likely affect them and there was no cause or cure (which I also found upon researching on my own). No bacterial, fungal or other treatments have had any effect on it. All my other plants (Javas) have been just fine.

I did make sure to use a small amount of glue and not cover the rhizome with it. In fact I had to reglue two of them because I didn't use enough.

• Like 1

@Beardedbillygoat1975 ~ Here's their article on it, if you are interested. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/anubias-rot

And I read several other articles talking about how it spreads throughout the Anubias but no other type of plants, the smell, and they have yet to determine how it started, whether or not it's a fungal or bacterial infection and they haven't found a treatment that affects or prevents it. Some people said it spread between tanks and others said they had one or two Anubias in a tank that somehow didn't get it. It really is intriguing. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:42 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I wonder if prophylactic dipping could help? You’ve done your homework. I’ve actually had it with Buce and the worst I ever saw was some anubias pinto I spent a ridiculous amount on and they were poof gone in 48-72 hours. Sorry for you loss. 

I pretty routinely dip most of my plants in dilute bleach but it didn’t stop the Anubias from rhizome rot, but it may have helped keeping it from spreading?

• Like 2