Plant ID

It's does look different than the Java moss I've had for a couple months but then again I have had a bad time with that stuff so it's possible it's unhealthy. The stuff I've had is darker and flakes off a bunch. 

Question about both mosses. Do they require low light? I think that might be part of my problem. I have my aquarium light on a little too much. Maybe if I place them under the floating plants it will help. And I need to actually use the timer I bought a month ago and haven't set up lol. 

I'm bad with plants. I never actually expected to get live plants till I saw all the benefits. 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:07 PM, Cinnebuns said:

It's does look different than the Java moss I've had for a couple months but then again I have had a bad time with that stuff so it's possible it's unhealthy. The stuff I've had is darker and flakes off a bunch. 

Question about both mosses. Do they require low light? I think that might be part of my problem. I have my aquarium light on a little too much. Maybe if I place them under the floating plants it will help. And I need to actually use the timer I bought a month ago and haven't set up lol. 

I'm bad with plants. I never actually expected to get live plants till I saw all the benefits. 

Mosses in general like lower light, fairly low nutrients (not too much nitrates), and cooler water.  Most will adapt just fine to typical tank conditions.  A timer is your friend when it comes to plants and not growing too much algae.  I’m usually about 6-10 hours depending on the tank.  Younger tank gets less since they’re more prone to algae.  If I’m doing frequent water changes I can usually slide the duration up.  Less frequent water changes, better slide the time down or I might end up battling algae.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:32 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@Odd Duck hmm so I see factors for less and more light both. It's a newer tank, about 3 months, but I do lots of water changes to trigger panda cory spawning. I do have a decent amount of snails rn so a little algae isn't bad. Maybe 8 hours sounds right. 

Really the only reason I like to increase the light duration is for my viewing or to fit my sometimes weird schedule (long shifts) and still get in a feeding while the lights are still on.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:46 PM, Odd Duck said:

Really the only reason I like to increase the light duration is for my viewing or to fit my sometimes weird schedule (long shifts) and still get in a feeding while the lights are still on.

That's exactly the issue I have with the lights on is my viewing. I don't get out much, sometimes not at all for almost a week, so I want to view a lot lol

On 3/1/2022 at 11:09 PM, Cinnebuns said:

That's exactly the issue I have with the lights on is my viewing. I don't get out much, sometimes not at all for almost a week, so I want to view a lot lol

I get that.  I’d have the lights on for 16 hours if I could, but that almost never works for the fish or for algae levels.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:19 PM, Odd Duck said:

I get that.  I’d have the lights on for 16 hours if I could, but that almost never works for the fish or for algae levels.

Exactly lol. That's why I need to set up the timer tho. Too easy to forget 

• Like 1