Breeding App?

Cinnebuns

On 2/26/2022 at 11:43 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Anyone know of an app to track fish breeding info?  The only ones I see are specifically for other animals or aquarium tracking that doesn't include breeding.

I guess I could use a spreadsheet on the computer but I'd prefer an app!

Interesting idea! Can you describe what sort of info you'd like it to include?

Egg collection date. Hatching/birth date.  General information like color, size, sex of individuals. Clutch size. Male to female ratio a female gives in a batch (thinking guppies here).  Mother/father (if known).  Common egg laying sites for egg layers. Date last gave birth for livebearer females to track gestation. % of viable eggs collected. Maybe a place to store pics to track fry growth. Food fed to fry with date and time. 

That's just off the top of my head. Obviously some are species specific or personal preference if one would want to track it or not. 

Some of this stuff I did start to track on a spreadsheet but I feel like it would be much more convenient, and fun, to do on an app. 

On 2/27/2022 at 1:53 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Some of this stuff I did start to track on a spreadsheet but I feel like it would be much more convenient, and fun, to do on an app. 

Unless the app had some kind of AI to take a picture of the fish and automatically tell you the male-to-female ratio, or count the clutch size, or any other feature that would automate gathering the the data points that are important to you, I would imagine using an app would be about the same amount of time/work as using a well-designed spreadsheet. It would all be data entry in the end. 

The advantage I can see with an app would be that the form factor of a phone or tablet beats a computer or laptop for field use. However, a spreadsheet allows you the ultimate flexibility in terms of recording the data points you want to record, not what the app developer decided you'd like. Unless, of course, you have your own development team on staff. Then in that case, let's build this thing!

Edited by tolstoy21

@tolstoy21 those are all super solid points. I did start using a spreadsheet after posting this and had a similar thought. After posting this same thing on Facebook though I had someone say they like the idea and they are currently developing an app for this and asked me what I want included. So strangely, I somehow got that to actually happen lol. Who knows how long it will take them to develop the app as they are doing it as a side project so the spreadsheet will still get use. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 2:26 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@tolstoy21 those are all super solid points. I did start using a spreadsheet after posting this and had a similar thought. After posting this same thing on Facebook though I had someone say they like the idea and they are currently developing an app for this and asked me what I want included. So strangely, I somehow got that to actually happen lol. Who knows how long it will take them to develop the app as they are doing it as a side project so the spreadsheet will still get use. 

So you do have a personal development team after all. Awesome!

Edited by tolstoy21

• 1 month later...