Starting a shrimp colony

Plant-master

You can sometimes see eggs in females. Shrimp keepers describe these as “berried” females…

283FC8FB-4708-424C-9240-C5A6B0D5382A.jpeg.3f9b9a66c26131fa5f6d7bf0f5bcdbfd.jpeg

Typically, I start with 20+ in a fish-free environment, well-established tank with sponge filter, lots of Java moss, and sone stone piles or shells. Yes, it’s possible to start off with a berried female, but not always easy.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:23 PM, Fish Folk said:

You can sometimes see eggs in females. Shrimp keepers describe these as “berried” females…

283FC8FB-4708-424C-9240-C5A6B0D5382A.jpeg.3f9b9a66c26131fa5f6d7bf0f5bcdbfd.jpeg

Typically, I start with 20+ in a fish-free environment, well-established tank with sponge filter, lots of Java moss, and sone stone piles or shells. Yes, it’s possible to start off with a berried female, but not always easy.

Ok, I should probably get more shrimp later on. None of mine seem to be berried.

Hi, if you're just starting out with them I would recommend a few more if possible. As for sexing I agree with the above posts, and also want to add that the tail section (the area just behind where the legs are located) shape depends on the gender of the shrimp. Females tend to have that area curve downwards, whereas males tend not to.

I'm pretty sure the shrimp in the first photo is a male (I'm not sure about the second photo because of the angle). There are other differences, but this is the one I typically look for first with my cherries. Good luck, shrimp are really fun to keep!

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
Fixing a typo
  • Like 2