Stems and floating plants die

Carlos D

29 gallon over a year old. Crypts, Anubis, sword plants, dwarf tiger Lily growing like crazy but stems plants and any floating plants die off in about two weeks but hornwort does fine. Light is on 8 hour a day it’s a Fluval 2.0starts off low and only goes to 50% brightness for 4 hours then dims down. no red blue or green used. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ph 75 hardness 75 chlorine 0 salvinia minima even died after a week. I also use coop proof tabs and easy green. Any ideas 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 7:06 PM, Carlos D said:

29 gallon over a year old. Crypts, Anubis, sword plants, dwarf tiger Lily growing like crazy but stems plants and any floating plants die off in about two weeks but hornwort does fine. Light is on 8 hour a day it’s a Fluval 2.0starts off low and only goes to 50% brightness for 4 hours then dims down. no red blue or green used. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ph 75 hardness 75 chlorine 0 salvinia minima even died after a week. I also use coop proof tabs and easy green. Any ideas 

How long has hornwort been in there? Has your stem plant die off followed addition of hornwort?

On 2/26/2022 at 5:19 PM, Fish Folk said:

How long has hornwort been in there? Has your stem plant die off followed addition of hornwort?

On 2/26/2022 at 5:19 PM, Fish Folk said:

Hornwort been in about 2 months stems 3 weeks

On 2/27/2022 at 12:54 AM, Carlos D said:

Hornwort been in about 2 months stems 3 weeks

Are you able to share any photos? Several things could be going on:

(1) It may be that the stem plants are not getting the light & nutrients they need. Possibly that is being drawn out by the hornwort. Alternatively, it is possible that floating plants might be obscuring the light needed by the stem plants.

(2) Stem plants do "melt" away after they adjust to a new tank, and then grow back to fit the conditions better. This may account for what you're noticing.

(3) A 29 gal is fairly deep as smaller tanks go. There is a possibility that the stem plants are just not getting the light they need. A secondary light may be necessary, or a longer photo period.

(4) Some stem plants require certain additional nutrients that typical broad-spectrum fertilizers do not provide enough of. For example, we struggle notoriously with growing Scarlet Temple. Love the plant, bt it hates our water / lighting / rhythm.

Here is an old classic "plant nutrient deficiency chart" that's made the rounds on the Forum for a long time...

255899779_ScreenShot2022-02-27at1_20_54AM.png.df07c9cce7a57cc85a47850dbf3766fb.png

Cory made this video years ago, but it's still one of the best for diagnosing plant deficiency problems. Take time to listen to everything he says. Cory is a genuine plant guy!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 10:23 PM, Fish Folk said:

Are you able to share any photos? Several things could be going on:

(1) It may be that the stem plants are not getting the light & nutrients they need. Possibly that is being drawn out by the hornwort. Alternatively, it is possible that floating plants might be obscuring the light needed by the stem plants.

(2) Stem plants do "melt" away after they adjust to a new tank, and then grow back to fit the conditions better. This may account for what you're noticing.

(3) A 29 gal is fairly deep as smaller tanks go. There is a possibility that the stem plants are just not getting the light they need. A secondary light may be necessary, or a longer photo period.

(4) Some stem plants require certain additional nutrients that typical broad-spectrum fertilizers do not provide enough of. For example, we struggle notoriously with growing Scarlet Temple. Love the plant, bt it hates our water / lighting / rhythm.

Here is an old classic "plant nutrient deficiency chart" that's made the rounds on the Forum for a long time...

255899779_ScreenShot2022-02-27at1_20_54AM.png.df07c9cce7a57cc85a47850dbf3766fb.png

Cory made this video years ago, but it's still one of the best for diagnosing plant deficiency problems. Take time to listen to everything he says. Cory is a genuine plant guy!

480BCB34-1D00-4070-975C-F54A0E0115F9.jpeg

Stem plants are tough at first.  They look so lovely in photos so you order some, plant them in your tank and then a few days later they look terrible.  I've learned that stem plants are big fakers.  They'll look like they are dying so you'll feel sorry for them.  If you ignore the sad looks (AKA leaves turning brown and dying off) they'll get over it and start to perk up again.  

I've added an image of a bacopa I added to my planted tank a couple of weeks ago.  Notice the leaves at the bottom look sad and several are brown or dead.  Then notice the bright new growth at the top.  I have a red flame right next to it in similar condition. Patience and a lack of sympathy for plant dramatics is the key.

P.S.  Love the platies 😍

20220301_113947.jpg

Edited by PaigeIs
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 5:06 PM, Carlos D said:

I would try anacharis next if its legal where you are. It's very similar to hornwart so maybe youll have luck