Endler livebearers

Polemos

So I woke up this morning to notice one endler baby swimming in my tank, I looked for more but haven't found any.  Is there a chance they were eaten? And should I remove it from the tank and put it by itself? One of my females still looks very pregnant but I'm not sure how long it takes them to birth their young.

20220224_102546.jpg

20220224_093004.jpg

20220224_093000.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, Fish Folk said:

You could put in a breeder net for fry. But usually, Endlers are survivors. I'd be surprised if you weren't overwhelmed by new Endlers in about six months. 😄

Thank you. I'll leave it be and just keep an eye on it. From what I've seen the others don't bother it when it swims up to them. I'm just surprised there is only one unless the others are just really good at hiding.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 2:54 PM, Polemos said:

Thank you. I'll leave it be and just keep an eye on it. From what I've seen the others don't bother it when it swims up to them. I'm just surprised there is only one unless the others are just really good at hiding.

They might be hiding. You’ve got some inviting spots in there for little ones to seek refuge in!

On 2/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, Fish Folk said:

They might be hiding. You’ve got some inviting spots in there for little ones to seek refuge in!

This was meant to be a shrimp tank but I got a horrible hydra outbreak. Because of all the plants I couldn't do chemicals or heat to get rid of them. The local pet shop I go to offered me these endler livebearers about a month ago to get rid of the problem naturally. I like these fish though and I read they could be extinct in the wild now so I'll probably keep them. Still have a slight hydra problem though.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 3:09 PM, Polemos said:

This was meant to be a shrimp tank but I got a horrible hydra outbreak. Because of all the plants I couldn't do chemicals or heat to get rid of them. The local pet shop I go to offered me these endler livebearers about a month ago to get rid of the problem naturally. I like these fish though and I read they could be extinct in the wild now so I'll probably keep them. Still have a slight hydra problem though.

I’ve heard hydra can come in on plants. I find they show up bad when I feed heavily on too much on newly hatched baby brine shrimp. 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:12 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’ve heard hydra can come in on plants. I find they show up bad when I feed heavily on too much on newly hatched baby brine shrimp. 

I feed these ones once a week, they have lots of algea that grows crazy fast but I'm keeping feeding down to help thin the hydra.

• Like 1