plant deficiency on fern

my trident fern isn't doing so well in this tank it's a 40 breeder and fern looks like this. i've been putting one squirt of easy green every other day to spread it out there are two goldfish in the tank currently. i've attached it to rock with super glue tried to include some water parameters the water is pretty hard in my town. The photo period is about eight hours of medium light

698F5622-6128-4588-AAED-52BFBB93A422.jpeg

212C83CA-FD51-4A8C-8973-13A0FAA1320D.jpeg

BCE7CFC6-E6CB-49E6-8CB5-7F0E2E55A250.jpeg

976FD287-14BA-45A9-9778-4D9F74464548.jpeg

On 2/20/2022 at 9:25 AM, plantedAlex said:

my trident fern isn't doing so well in this tank it's a 40 breeder and fern looks like this. i've been putting one squirt of easy green every other day to spread it out there are two goldfish in the tank currently. i've attached it to rock with super glue tried to include some water parameters the water is pretty hard in my town. The photo period is about eight hours of medium light. 

976FD287-14BA-45A9-9778-4D9F74464548.jpeg

Hi @plantedAlex

I love Microsorum pteropus 'Trident' I grow it myself.

How long have you had the Trident in your tank?

When did you first start dosing Easy Green?

The hardness reading looks weird in the picture, what reading do you see in person?

Do you have a water softener on the water supply?   -Roy

1073671926_2009-10-0630GallonTridentLabel1Sn.jpg.82cf211cb8d7d0a01b295c3cc51484f8.jpg

• Love 1

Hi @plantedAlex

OK, here is likely what is happening.  Many aquarium plants we purchase are 'marginals' meaning of they grow along along the edges rivers and lakes and are adapted to live either submerged or emerged.  When the plants are emerged and growing in the air in order not to dry out from transpiration the leaves have a thick cuticle layer that minimizes water loss.  When the rivers or lakes rise and the plants are submerged the cuticle layer prevents the leaves from 'breathing ' the limited amount of CO2 that is dissolved in the water.  The plants allow the emerged leaves to die off, the plants re-absorb the nutrients, and new submerged leaves are formed.  Most of our aquatic plants are grown in aquatic plant nurseries in Florida and Asia.  To grow the plants quickly and without algae and pests the plants are grown emerged.  When we plant them in our tanks it is very common for the plants to loose those emerged grown leaves and start putting out submerged leaves.  If you look closely where the arrow is in your enlarged photo you can see the new growth starting to emerge from the rhizome of the plant.  More of these will form over time and the  old, original leaves will die off.  When a leaf has died and turned brown trim if off so more light gets to the new leaves.  Hope this helps! -Roy
950099915_CARETridentarrow.jpeg.c37623e750764c5490872ea94bbd5aee.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1