Incurable Dojo Loach Bloat

TheDojoMojo

Hello all,

I have a group of 7 dojo loaches in my 125 gallon heavily planted aquarium. The largest of the dojos has been struggling with bloat lately. Symptoms began showing maybe 4-5 months ago, and have escalated since then. Here is a picture of him currently:

IMG-7619.jpg.474f64ac801977e7ea40efd5581b78e5.jpg

Throughout the early part of that period I was just watching to see if it would worsen or just get better. When it started to get worse, I just dosed some Maracyn in the whole tank to see if that would solve the problem. About 2 months ago, I realized that it wasn't going to get any better on its own, and the meds weren't helping. So, I moved him to a 10 gallon hospital tank and have been taking more active measures to work on him since then. I did a ton of research and found (to my dismay) that there are almost an infinite amount of potential causes for fish bloat. Eventually, I came across this FAQ article by the Co-Op: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/bloated-fish .  I was unable to decipher which of the scenarios listed was causing the bloat, so I figured I'd go ahead and try some of them. I started by fasting the fish for about a week and then only feeding him peas and frozen cyclops. Around this time I also dosed some aquarium salt, then Maracyn. Seeing no improvement, I later did a Maracyn Two dose for a couple weeks. At this point I'm also only feeding peas, and he has been actively eating whatever I feed him. I also dosed ParaCleanse for a couple weeks to no avail. Most recently, I tried one dose of Expel-P as described on the package, and nothing happened. Now, the dojo is still eating primarily peas but with a few Hikari sinking wafers and algae wafers mixed in. I have not found any poop in the tank whatsoever despite consumption of food. This means it is either dissolving into the water, he is eating it, or he is not pooping.

At this point I feel as though I've tried everything under the sun multiple times, and need advice on what to do next. Any thoughts are helpful, thanks!

First of all. Poor Dojo! 😔 

It sounds like you've tried everything but Epsom salt soaks. I'm not even sure if that would work when Peas don't. Though if it's fluid build up it could have some effect- not sure. 

I can't imagine it's a bowel obstruction as one would think if that were the case he would haved passed away months ago. 

One thing you didn't mention, apparently he eats fine- do they also act normal? 

Is the bloat symetrical? I'm wondering if maybe the little one has a tumor or other growth inside. 

I apologize I've never had a Dojo so I'm not aware of anything Dojo specific but it really does sound to me you've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this. Maybe others have thoughts. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

I would take a step back I hold off adding any more medication I don't think it's constipation it been going on to long egg bound I think we can rule this out with the fact it's been going on for a Couple of months if it were internal bacterial infections I would have expected to see some improvement with the meds you have used it could be an internal growth as @xXInkedPhoenixXsuggest or its possibility he is just fat always a possibility some fish are just pigs when it comes to food if he's eating ok and not showing any odd behaviour I would just leave him be for now  sometimes over treating is worst then doing nothing 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

He acts about how I would expect a fish of his size to act in a 10 gallon. He isn't as active, and doesn't swim from end to end like he did in the 125, but he still moves around fairly regularly with the little space he has, so I wouldn't say he is particularly lethargic.

I have noticed that the bloating is larger on one side, but it isn't obvious. A tumor is something I haven't thought of yet...

It is true that he has always eaten whatever I feed him like a monster, so I've always wondered if he was just fat, but I'm not sure how I could differentiate between bloating and simply being overweight. It seems like the bulge is just in one area of his abdomen rather than his entire body appearing fat, but again, I'm not aware of what a fat fish ought to look like. How long would it take for a fish to begin to lose weight? He has been fasted multiple times since being in the QT and the rest of the time has been a diet of almost entirely peas, so I would imagine that I would have seen some improvement. Would it be possible that his setup prevents him from losing much weight (Small tank and low temperature)?

So if we can rule out constipation, bacterial infection, and egg-bound, what does that leave us with as possibilities?

My thought leans towards a growth or tumor. In which case, unless you want to find a fish doctor I would lean towards putting him back in gen pop and let him live out his life. He eats, likely poops (cause I mean, really) and acts otherwise fairly normal. He didn't spread it to anyone which makes me think that it's something internal specific to them. As long as nobody bullies him, my vote is FREE WILLY!!!!! 🙃

• 2 years later...

i've been scouring the internet for months and this is the first post i've found that relates to what we've been going thru with our golden loach- since about August he has started with a bit of a belly bulge; 7 months later he looks like a woman pregnant with sextuplets.. can't believe he still hasn't exploded. OP; is yours still alive and kicking? would love to swap photos; for reference mine is in a ~70/72 gallon 55 gallon with 3 cory catfish and now 5 other loaches- (used to be just 3 loaches, the coreys and 2 fancy goldies... that 8 pack were 6 + years old. I made the mistake of adding new fish/plants without quarantining, the goldfish got ich and we lost them). just did a brutal ich x treatment on whole tank; but now i am wondering if my loaches have some sort of wasting disease that caused the bloating in one and skinniness in the other two- i've  just been letting him live out his days, but if there is something i can do to help his sisters i've got to try. did you look into fish TB (wasting disease)?  feel your frustration; the peas.. the daphnia.. the fasting... wish there were fish drs! 

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1312.MOV.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

On 3/24/2024 at 10:49 PM, katiebeanx3 said:

Thanks @Colu. I think he’s at the end of his days, really struggling to breathe after the ich outbreak and treatment. First time ever catching him on his side like this.. and just turned that black / blue color last week :,( 

7B1B0209-F2C8-45AC-A8F0-FBECB2B78991.jpeg

Sorry to hear that if you think he's suffering I then i would consider humanely euthanize him  with clove oil

1000000136.png

1000000118.png

• Thanks 1