Next Plant Suggestion

I am taking plants one at a time with about a month between each. Basically whenever I feel I can take on more and am stable with what I have. The first 4 I picked were easy picks and easy plants. I have had some learning curves but have been successful for the most part. I have water lettuce, marimo moss balls, Java moss (kinda, I did it wrong and lost some. Now I have it attached.), and a small Java fern.

What plant would you recommend I try next? What might compliment my scape and stock well?  Stock is 3 guppies (and growing), 7 panda cories (and growing?), 2 nerite snails (sometimes in a diff tank) and 2 mystery snails. Substrate is gravel but I have been considering making a "sandbox" area. I don't really want to get into CO2. Might be open to root tabs but I know very little about it. 

20220215_222529.jpg

I agree with all the above suggestions.

Crypts are one of my all time favorite plants and I've always gotten it to thrive. One thing to keep in mind is that crypts will most likely melt back at first, however will most certainley grow back.

Bulb plants are fun because for a few weeks you may have no growth, and then once it starts growing, it grows fast. Its a very sattisfying plant.

For bulb plants I like to partially burry them in gravel, i like to only cover the roots and leave the bulb exposed. Sometimes your bulb wont have any roots yet, in which case I sit it above the gravel/ sand and wait for roots to form. Once roots are formed I burry the roots in the substrate.

One plant I would add to the list is anubias. Anubias is like java fern, they are both rhizome plants. And are both easy to care for. Anubias is one of my favorite, if not my favorite plant.

Edited by FrozenFins
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@Patrick_G I assume it's that beautiful pink and orange one?  Omg it's gorgeous. I might have to look that one up. If I remember correctly, bulb plants can just be stuck in gravel right?  

Yup, it’s more or less just bury it about 1/2 way into the gravel and let it do it’s thing. A root tab might help but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary if you’re adding fertilizer to the water. 
The crypts that @Beardedbillygoat1975 mentioned are also great. The crypt spiralis is my favorite. It’s leaves are long and skinny so they sway in the current. 

I agree with the suggestion of anubias! It was one of my first live plants and is very beginner friendly. Just don't plant it, stick it to rocks or decor with super glue; it needs to have its rhizome exposed. 

Here's my "anubias only" tank with a few different varieties. They're all just stuck to the pile of wood and lava rock.

PXL_20220110_003045446.jpg.fe72f88948b6b4a7168517ed3c5c3c31.jpg

Another tank with anubias and my favorite plant, bolbitis (the fern looking thing on the top). Bolbitis is another rhizome plant that likes to be adhered to objects. Once it gets going, it spreads and fills in spaces very nicely. It's a slow grower, much like anubias.

PXL_20220208_012929037.jpg.640ccb51a2ed6134d3b1dcb0bb0d8807.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 2/16/2022 at 6:11 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I am taking plants one at a time with about a month between each. Basically whenever I feel I can take on more and am stable with what I have. The first 4 I picked were easy picks and easy plants. I have had some learning curves but have been successful for the most part. I have water lettuce, marimo moss balls, Java moss (kinda, I did it wrong and lost some. Now I have it attached.), and a small Java fern.

What plant would you recommend I try next? What might compliment my scape and stock well?  Stock is 3 guppies (and growing), 7 panda cories (and growing?), 2 nerite snails (sometimes in a diff tank) and 2 mystery snails. Substrate is gravel but I have been considering making a "sandbox" area. I don't really want to get into CO2. Might be open to root tabs but I know very little about it. 

20220215_222529.jpg

Beautiful tank!

I second the bulb Rex. I have a dwarf lily and love the lily pads it sends up and the leaves near the ground

i have also enjoyed Amazon sword (left) and water sprite (back center left)

7C85A512-CF03-405B-8C81-8F2458EAE2C4.jpeg