Longin & Shortfin Danios together?

Phinny

I keep three longfin zebras and a dozen of shortfin glo's together.  Lots of mutual chasing but no fin nipping. However, from time to time I see the long fins ripped from all the crazy motions they do, so I think the veiled danios would probably be happier without their shorfin relatives. 

I have incidental experience with this. Back in the day i had 5 zebra danios. Some were longfin some were short fin. I think the store i bought them at kept them together as just "zebra danio." Anyway, they made babies on their own at some point and the babies seemed to randomly adopt the fin genes of one of their parents. So some babies looked normal and some had long fins. 

edit: i guess i should also point out i never personally witnessed them bully each other. I had a loach with them too and they loach ignored them as well and vice versa. But of course this is anecdotal and your experience may vary 

Edited by Phill D

I gather that, with a large enough group of short and longfins, there shouldn’t be much fin nipping but ripped longfins might still be an issue. Would a healthy amount of floating plants be enough to slow them down and prevent ripped fins?