Pogostemon Octopus

Krish

On 2/10/2022 at 5:55 PM, Andy's Fish Den said:

If you want to leave them in the pots, you can, but I would take them out and plant in the substrate. Use liquid fertilizer such as easy green and they will grow. I started with just a few 4" long stems and within about six months it had pretty much filled a 40 breeder. 

So do you feel mine are healthy from the photographs?

The leaves on your PSO now will eventually all fall off and be replaced with longer, thinner leaves. The leaves in your pictures were grown while the plant was "emersed," with the roots in water and the leaves in the air. The leaves that will grow while the plant is submerged are different.

Also, my PSOs lose leaves all the time. I am considering taking the PSOs out of one of my tanks because the tank has a sump fed by an overflow, and I am worried that PSO leaves might clog the overflow.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:33 PM, HH Morant said:

The leaves on your PSO now will eventually all fall off and be replaced with longer, thinner leaves. The leaves in your pictures were grown while the plant was "emersed," with the roots in water and the leaves in the air. The leaves that will grow while the plant is submerged are different.

Also, my PSOs lose leaves all the time. I am considering taking the PSOs out of one of my tanks because the tank has a sump fed by an overflow, and I am worried that PSO leaves might clog the overflow.

Got it 

Thank you so much sir🙏

Yours look good.  The ones I have bought (from the Co-Op) are a bunch of individual stems.  

They grow quick, it must be a fast/easy grower because I'm new to planted world and this one is by far the best for me.

Looks totally different (and cooler) once the leaves convert.

This is my first one after about two months.  It was in a 10 gallon and now is in a 37 which is much taller and it's going to be to the top within a few days by the looks of it.  😄

VideoCapture_20220209-073911.jpg.46b27dc0a388bd28cfdd3f1c1168a2de.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:27 PM, jwcarlson said:

Yours look good.  The ones I have bought (from the Co-Op) are a bunch of individual stems.  

They grow quick, it must be a fast/easy grower because I'm new to planted world and this one is by far the best for me.

Looks totally different (and cooler) once the leaves convert.

This is my first one after about two months.  It was in a 10 gallon and now is in a 37 which is much taller and it's going to be to the top within a few days by the looks of it.  😄

VideoCapture_20220209-073911.jpg.46b27dc0a388bd28cfdd3f1c1168a2de.jpg

Now that looks damn cool😍. Did you plant it in gravel?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:58 AM, Krish said:

Now that looks damn cool😍. Did you plant it in gravel?

Before it got moved to the bigger tank, it was in Fluval Stratum.  Now it's on a grid (ish) of root tabs and inert Home Depot "all purpose gravel".  I'll confess to not knowing if it's more of a root feeder vs water column, but it seems to respond fastest when I give the tank some Easy Green (which hasn't been too often yet getting things settled in.  It seems to also grow when it is just floating around if a stem gets loose as well.  

It's in gravel now and it didn't skip a beat when I transferred it (and I have trimmed it quite a bit at one point in time because there was so much hair algae).  It's only been six days and I bet it's grown two inches already.  The tank has been in flux with some bacterial infection issues with the fish.  Long story short it ended up at least partially re-cycling and last night the nitrites were finally at zero again.  Nitrates were also <5 ppm, so I gave the tank five squirts of Easy Green this morning.  Hopefully this cycle stuff is behind me and then I can narrow in on the plants growth and fert/light requirements.  This one has absolutely been the easiest.  There's two more smaller ones that I bought awhile back.  Just got them out of the pots when going to new tank six days ago and one of them is already sending lots of new leaves, the other had roots hopelessly packed into the rock wool (how is rock wool the best option for plants, it is terrible).  I'm sure it will just be a week behind or so.  I'm no expert, but this pogo dude is a real cool looking plant.

Edited by jwcarlson

On 2/10/2022 at 8:40 PM, jwcarlson said:

Before it got moved to the bigger tank, it was in Fluval Stratum.  Now it's on a grid (ish) of root tabs and inert Home Depot "all purpose gravel".  I'll confess to not knowing if it's more of a root feeder vs water column.  It seems to also grow when it is just floating around if a stem gets loose.  

It's in gravel now and it didn't skip a beat when I transferred it (and I have trimmed it quite a bit at one point in time because there was so much hair algae).  It's only been six days and I bet it's grown two inches already.  The tank has been in flux with some bacterial infection issues with the fish.  Long story short it ended up at least partially re-cycling and last night the nitrites were finally at zero again.  Nitrates were also <5 ppm, so I gave the tank five squirts of Easy Green this morning.  Hopefully this cycle stuff is behind me and then I can narrow in on the plants growth and fert/light requirements.  This one has absolutely been the easiest.  There's two more smaller ones that I bought awhile back.  Just got them out of the pots when going to new tank six days ago and one of them is already sending lots of new leaves, the other had roots hopelessly packed into the rock wool (how is rock wool the best option for plants, it is terrible).  I'm sure it will just be a week behind or so.  I'm no expert, but this pogo dude is a real cool looking plant.

Thats cool.

Unfortunately I don't have access to easy green as am in India. I use 2 hr aquarist's APT complete

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that mine did seem to "shed" a lot of its leaves and left them floating around the tank like you're observing.  The converted plant seems pretty robust, the leaves don't seem to break off easily, I've had them wrapped around the siphon and haven't busted any of them off.  But the immerse grown starters seem to lose leaves every time I've brushed them while cleaning.  Yours already are sending some converted leaves, I bet in two weeks they barely look like the same plants. 🙂 

Edited by jwcarlson

On 2/10/2022 at 8:51 PM, jwcarlson said:

Forgot to mention that mine did seem to "shed" a lot of its leaves and left them floating around the tank like you're observing.  The converted plant seems pretty robust, the leaves don't seem to break off easily, I've had them wrapped around the siphon and haven't busted any of them off.  But the immerse grown starters seem to loose leaves everytime I've brushed them.  Yours already are sending some converted leaves, I bet in two weeks they barely look like the same plants. 🙂 

Thanks a lot I was looking for this info

• Like 1