Bloated fish..help

Danabana

@Danabana try to get everyone to eat it if they are all sick, you can focus on Big Blue to make sure he eats it. Focus and Garlic Guard are Seachem products. 

The Garlic Guard attracts the fish so they eat the medicated food. 

https://seachem.com/garlicguard.php

Focus is similar but helps with bacterial infections:

https://www.seachem.com/focus.php

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, Danabana said:

I'm very sad to say big blue just couldn't fight anymore....he passed.  😞

The fact he died not long after showing symptoms it could have been dawrf gourami lridovirus if that's the case I wouldn't add any gourami's to that tank in the future and disinfect any nets or other equipment with a  3% hydrogen peroxide solution

On 2/7/2022 at 11:54 AM, Colu said:

The fact he died not long after showing symptoms it could have been dawrf gourami lridovirus if that's the case I wouldn't add any gourami's to that tank in the future and disinfect any nets or other equipment with a  3% hydrogen peroxide solution

Can that virus still be in the tank?  Is that why I shouldn't add anymore gourami back in that tank?

There are lots of pages on the internet about this disease that's being referenced and it seems @Danabana that because of how fast they died it could have been the culprit. A lot of people on here like to use aquariumscience.org (I personally do NOT) but most of the pages about the disease say the same thing:

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-15-dwarf-gourami-disease/

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

I'm personally not a fan of aquariumscience.org for many, many reasons, but there's a lot of information out there about dwarf gourami iridovirus and how prevalent/virulent it is. I'm so sorry that it seems like he succumbed to the virus. 😞 I was really worried that was the case. Please know there was nothing you really could have done even with meds -- it's not your fault at all.

The swordtail may have passed of unrelated cause but it's good to cover your bases as @Colu suggested. I'd be hesitant to add more gouramis to the tank for awhile after a presumptive case of DGIV. It's so sad what selective line breeding has done to this beautiful fish...

If you do decide to try gouramis again in the distant future, I want to steer you towards hardier species. Trichogaster Labiosa (thick-lipped gouramis) are absolutely delightful, grow to about the same size as dwarf gouramis, and they are hardy and healthy. Honey Gouramis are super peaceful and smaller. Croaking Gouramis and Sparkling Gouramis are some more options. For bigger "peaceful" gouramis, try Pearl Gouramis.

Please take care and I hope the rest of your tank survives with no more problems.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 1:31 PM, laritheloud said:

I'm personally not a fan of aquariumscience.org for many, many reasons, but there's a lot of information out there about dwarf gourami iridovirus and how prevalent/virulent it is. I'm so sorry that it seems like he succumbed to the virus. 😞 I was really worried that was the case. Please know there was nothing you really could have done even with meds -- it's not your fault at all.

The swordtail may have passed of unrelated cause but it's good to cover your bases as @Colu suggested. I'd be hesitant to add more gouramis to the tank for awhile after a presumptive case of DGIV. It's so sad what selective line breeding has done to this beautiful fish...

If you do decide to try gouramis again in the distant future, I want to steer you towards hardier species. Trichogaster Labiosa (thick-lipped gouramis) are absolutely delightful, grow to about the same size as dwarf gouramis, and they are hardy and healthy. Honey Gouramis are super peaceful and smaller. Croaking Gouramis and Sparkling Gouramis are some more options. For bigger "peaceful" gouramis, try Pearl Gouramis.

Please take care and I hope the rest of your tank survives with no more problems.

I guess I'm just shocked how quickly he went down hill from the time I could see something wrong with him.  But reading about dwarf gourami iridovirus, it makes more sense. 

I will try having gouramis again when the time is right.  I appreciate the list of ones to explore getting...it's very helpful.  Thanks 

On 2/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, Danabana said:

Can that virus still be in the tank?  Is that why I shouldn't add anymore gourami back in that tank?

With viral infections I would always disinfect the tank and all the equipment before adding new fish you can Also add a UV steriliser that works to break DNA chains of bacterial and viruses to stop them reproducing theirs no way to be   100% it's Dwarf gourami lridovirus without a vet taking tissue samples and culture's