25 hex stocking feedback

Kathryn T

Thoughts on switching out a 25 hex from guppy colony to a single angel? I'd like to keep my 3 false julii, so would they be safe with an angel?

Edit: 24 inches tall, 10 inch sides, roughly 20 inches corner to corner

20220205_104846.jpg

Edited by Kathryn T
Adding dimensions
  • Like 1

What're the dimensions on the tank? I can't find an answer online.

I think that, assuming it's at least 24" from wall-to-opposite-wall, you'll be okay with the single angel. In a couple years, if that angel happens to get larger than most, it may get cramped, but I think it'd be okay for a long while at the very least.

IMO, you could even throw in a few more Julii at the bottom, too 😉

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:26 PM, Kathryn T said:

It's about 17 inches wall to wall, 20 corner to corner. Do angels grow fast? Maybe I should look into growing out a handful of quarter sized angels and then selling them back to a store...

Angels grow palm-sized pretty quickly IME, but can take a while to get massive, and it'll depend on the variety, too.

I think with those dimensions one would be alright, with the disclaimer that it'd likely need an upgrade in a couple years.

Growing out a few tiny ones to that palm-size and selling them back before they begin to pair off would be a fine idea, too, as long as you're okay with it.

• Like 1

Hmm, i kind of like the idea of growing them out and moving on to something different. I've kept the guppies forever because I was just out of ideas for something else (and had a rough pregnancy followed by a baby). Maybe I need to check out my LFS on a slow day and talk to someone there about other ideas. Or maybe I need to bite the bullet and look into fancier guppies. I'm having one of those moods where I want change, but I don't have a concrete idea where I want to go. 

• Haha 1

Wait, a 6” long(or more) fish in a 20” across tank, so the swimming room of a 10 gallon?  I mean, I’ve currently got a small, badly scarred, semi-disabled, missing half the right pectoral fin, angelfish in a 10 gallon QT tank, but it isn’t meant for a lifelong tank for him/her.  A display tank is meant to display normal behavior, too, right?  There will be eating and hopefully healing happening in my QT tank, but no behavior except survival.  Is your goal just for survival or for thriving for your angel?  The chances of developing normal musculature, finnage, and size in such a small tank is poor.  You might want to rethink this.

• Like 1

Vertical spaces are challenging.  You could do a betta, OR a small Gourami like Honey or licorice Gouramis and a mystery snail (if your betta is chill).  Mystery snails are quite fun to watch.  They glide around and parachute from the top to the bottom very gracefully.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm starting to think I just want change, but maybe growing out a handful of angels for a couple months and then selling them back to the store would be fun. 

I have a 10g betta that I pulled from the hex tank because I noticed nipping. And several snails in the hex. I'm even considering just looking into prettier guppies, now. 

• Like 1