Help, one of my peppered corys is dying

KittenFishMom

I was just checking my fish before bed and one of my corys was upside down on the surface of the tank. He appears to have a bruise on his gill and on his underside in front of the gill. It is swollen. The other corys were swimming franticly, so I netted this guy out and put him in a dark mug with tank water, took pictures and covered the mug to give him darkness. I am trying to get photos from my phone. No bandwidth here at the cottage. I'll add the second picture shortly.

Water was fine, ammonia 0, nitrater 0 nitite 0 temp 81.5f

This is the tank that I found the leech in.

cory1.jpg

Edited by KittenFishMom
added water parms
  • Sad 2

There is a small flagfish, a male betta and 2 other corys in the tank. I haven't seen the betta chase any of them. the flagfish is small than the coys and has been with them since before I brought them home.  At the store they said the flagfish thought he was a cory, and I think they were right.

I am wondering if he got a sharp bit of something stuck in his gill.

Stressed fish put out chemicals to alert other fish of danger. That is why I took him out of the tank as fast as I could.

I'm going to go check the tank and then see what I can see under the dead corys' gill plate.

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:27 AM, Odd Duck said:

I wonder if they just got startled and he bonked himself running into something?

The bruising was all on his underside.  I think it would be tricky for him to hit that area with much force.

I was watching them earlier this evening and everything was fine and normal. I enjoy watching the corys swimming around like little busy bodies, tasting everything with their barbels. The peppered corys were much happier swimming around the tank than the other 3 I have with the tetras. Those 3 just hide in the same corner unless they smell food.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:34 AM, KittenFishMom said:

The bruising was all on his underside.  I think it would be tricky for him to hit that area with much force.

I was watching them earlier this evening and everything was fine and normal. I enjoy watching the corys swimming around like little busy bodies, tasting everything with their barbels. The peppered corys were much happier swimming around the tank than the other 3 I have with the tetras. Those 3 just hide in the same corner unless they smell food.

They can actually run headlong into something and cause injuries that show up on their belly because it’s essentially right behind their head.  Strange things can happen if they hit something at just the wrong angle.  But I know you would have noticed a mark on his nose/face after you did an exam on him.  From his underside, his face wasn’t visible.

So sorry for your loss.

• Like 1