Undo Stress?

Phinny

I'm two months into the hobby and I have a 10 gallon planted tank with 7 danios (mix of zebra, gold, glofish). One of my gold danios is harassing all the others and some are showing signs of stress (hiding in the corner, lack of appetite). I've isolated the aggressive danio and added some more plants and decor to the tank but one fish is still hiding, not eating. Is there a way to get this fish out of his funk? 

Also, I'm wondering if the male:female ratio is setting off the aggressive danio? I did't pay attention when I first got them but I wound up with 2 females and 6 males. One female since died so the ratio is now 1 female:6 males.

Water parameters: nitrates 40ppm, nitrite 0ppm, ammonia 0, GH ~300ppm, KH ~40ppm. pH 7.2

• Administrators

It sounds like the ratio is probably the problem. Also adding more helps spread any aggression. Any pics of the tank?  Do you have any floating plants or plants that go to the top to make it easy for fish to be out of the line of sight of other fish?

The stressed danio likes to hide amongst some dwarf water lettuce in the back left corner. When I noticed the aggression I put in stems of bacopa into the middle of the tank. I wasn't sure that would help but it was all I had on hand. So the solution is to add more females? I was hoping to add other types of fish to the tank so adding more danios means less community fish.

IMG_3652.jpg