Root Tab capsules??

so are the root tab capsules made from gelatin like human pills? when i tried to shove them, the exterior of the capsules had disolved and floated up and settled on the bottom creating a white gelatin like substance. it broke up when i tried to scoop it out / siphon it out.

what is the exact composition? gelatin? is it safe? i trust the ingredients IN the root tabs but i want to know what is the capsule made of considering it isn't listed on the ingredients on the bottle.

From what I can tell from looking into the composition of the capsules it looks like most medical capsules are made using cow hide gelatin or another pure protein which I would think would be harmless to the tank. As far as what Aquarium Co Op uses specifically I would think their customer service would probably be able to give you the source of the capsules used so you could get a specific ingredient list. If they are designed to dissolve in the substrate however I would think it wouldn't contain any harmful toxins for livestock.

On 1/27/2022 at 4:56 AM, DrBradshaw said:

when i tried to shove them, the exterior of the capsules had disolved and floated up and settled on the bottom creating a white gelatin like substance. it broke up when i tried to scoop it out / siphon it out.

On a side note, you can avoid this problem if, before trying to bury them, you submerge them in the water with your fingers and give a few gentle squeezes until it stops giving off air bubbles.  It's the trapped air within the capsule that causes them to break free of the substrate and float.  If you do this, they will actually sink to the bottom.  Just bury them deep down and you shouldn't have them poking up through the substrate.