Nano Sponge Filter + Betta

BettaBabe94

This is my first time with a sponge filter. I have a 5 gallon (tall) tank. I bought the nano sponge filter from aquarium co-op, the ziss air stone, and the nano air pump. I have the air stone tightened all the way. I think I saw that it was safe for a betta. It seems like a lot to me, but maybe he just needs to get used to it? Does anyone else use the nano sponge filter in a betta tank?

Edited by SinfulBetta94

I have and its worked great, no complaints. If you see the betta getting blown away from the tank it may be worth looking into it.

IMO its the best filter for a betta tank. You can also adjust the amount of air going into the sponge filter by getting a air valve. This I would totally reccemend if you see your betta getting blown away.

Lots of listed air vlaves on aquarium co-ops site. Heres a link.

Edited by FrozenFins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The air valve will do the trick as others suggested. You may want to check that the air stone didn’t come off the short tubing piece or cap of the filter (depending on how you attached). I have the same nano sponge filters and USB pumps in all my betta tanks. In one of my older set ups, the air line tubing got a little  hardened. When I squeezed out the sponge to clear out debris and put it back together, the air stone later popped off the connection and so the sponge filter was running wide open and making the “witches brew” bubbling sound. 

With a new set up, you may not encounter this for a while but something to check if your bubbles in the lift tube aren’t coming up in a finer flow. Betta’s definitely prefer a calmer surface. 

• Thanks 1