Are my fish ok?

DarthBaiter

Yeah I would second @Colu. Angelfish are pigs and will eat anything and everything given to them. I've had an angelfish with farm much worse looking bellies, and fasting them for a few days till there stomach goes down always does the trick. After fasting them limit their feeding.

I'm not sure how often or how much you feed a day. But a small sprinkle of food once a day should do the trick. Of course this depends on each aquarium, however its worked for me and I know lots of other people.

• Like 2

@Colu @FrozenFins @laritheloud I will fast the tank for a few days with hopes that it helps. By any chance do any of you know the genders? I was hoping to not get a breeding pair as I would not know what to do with babies. Again thanks for the advice. I'm only a year into the hobby and these are my second set of angelfish as the first set died while I was on vacation under someone else's watch. I love these fish and hope to watch them grow in the 40 gallon community thank I have.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, DarthBaiter said:

@Colu @FrozenFins @laritheloud I will fast the tank for a few days with hopes that it helps. By any chance do any of you know the genders? I was hoping to not get a breeding pair as I would not know what to do with babies. Again thanks for the advice. I'm only a year into the hobby and these are my second set of angelfish as the first set died while I was on vacation under someone else's watch. I love these fish and hope to watch them grow in the 40 gallon community thank I have.  

Its very difficult to sex angelfish. You almost need to see them laying eggs or in the act of breeding to succesfully sex them.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:59 PM, DarthBaiter said:

You don't need to worry about what to do with babies in a community tank. Angels are notoriously difficult to sex, as you can only really see the ovipositor in the act of laying eggs.

The bigger concern is accidentally getting too many boyos, and the damage they can occasionally inflict during dominance competitions.

When I bred, I had to wait until I had an identifiable pair, remove the pair from the community tank, and then ensure they were undisturbed. Even so, they generally ate the first two or so batches of babies.

I insisted on groups of 8 or more, to spread the aggression out over a larger group. Which requires a larger tank, which allows for healthier fish and more dither fish to keep the angels from getting neurotic (my name for how some angels will become almost obsessive at glass surfing their reflection when they get bored in a tank).

Your angels look healthy and a little overfed.

Fasting, as Colu said, should fix the problem. 

For future prevention, spread food across the top of the tank so they each have lots of surface area to eat from. Try offering live baby brine shrimp to keep the digestive system clear, and to make them hunt for their food.

They are very entertaining when fed blackworms, vinegar worms, daphnia and bbs... and they benefit from the exercise. 

Another key to preventing bloat is more frequent, smaller meals (like, if any food is left at the 2 minute mark, feed less next time).