Planting Monte Carlo in Stratum

Does anyone have any advice for planting Monte Carlo in Stratum substrate? Currently I have the planter it came in from the Co-Op partially buried on its side and the moss is floating a bit over the substrate with the roots reaching down but I'm not sure if there's a better way to plant it? Any advice or tips would be appreciated. 

• Like 2

I may be thinking of baby tears, but I believe Cory has recommended putting a root tab in the rock wool and sticking the whole planter in your substrate until it takes off. 

I don’t have the plant myself, but I know I heard him say that is how he recommends doing one of those plants, maybe both. 

Edited by Mitch Norton
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 5:40 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m not sure how much this helps, but I used the dry start method for mine. The Monte Carlo is cut into clippings and sprinkled over damp stratum. You then cover the aquarium, wait until it roots and then add water. 

DF9D31D4-3F6E-44E1-82EC-5030FB942CB0.jpeg

The tank has already been flooded but I'll for sure keep that in mind for next time!

On 1/22/2022 at 5:42 PM, Mitch Norton said:

I may be thinking of baby tears, but I believe Cory has recommended putting a root tab in the rock wool and sticking the whole planter in your substrate until it takes off. 

I don’t have the plant myself, but I know I heard him say that is how he recommends doing one of those plants, maybe both. 

This is kind of what I've been trying to do but I don't have thick enough substrate for the planter to stay up straight

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been successful with monte carlo in a flooded tank. i find the roots to be too fine to plant, and too delicate to glue to a rock. i think dry start, and letting them root themselves is the best way to go. If you have a tank already, and want to add monte carlo, i wonder if dry starting them in a mesh or foam base would be a good idea, so you can position the mesh on the substrate and weigh it down when the MC is ready to move into the tank. I gave up before trying this, though 😉

• Like 2