Glass Paint?

Raychel

I found glass paint in my local craft store which says it cures in 4 days and is top rack dishwasher safe if baked. It is the Decoart brand. Is this safe to use to paint the back of my aquarium (on the outside)? I would assume so, but I've always used spray paint before. I only picked this up because it is too cold to paint outside. Thanks! 

I have used window tint before. Can do that indoors and you can peel it off easily when/if you sell the tank.

STORY TIME: When I was just out of high school I had a tank for sale with tint on it, the guy who was going to buy it was being a nugget and wanted a discount "because it's painted on the back". I asked him how long he thought it would take to remove it, he said at least an hour.... Mind you I could have gotten spray paint off in 3 minutes with some gasoline... but I busted out a heat gun and removed the tint in front of him in less than a minute. He didn't buy the tank. But whatever I wasn't going to cave to some 30+ year old man when I was trying to get gas money for my truck so I could go to school. The next weekend a lady bought the tank at full price and even took some of my guppy kids from my main display inside the house.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:34 PM, MoshJosh said:

I think pretty much anything is safe on the outside of the aquarium. . . though I would just wait till the weather warms up and use spray pain (plasti-dip is my go to). 

Plasti-dip is sweet. I've created rubber lids on my coleman coolers with it so people don't slip on them in the boat. It gets torn up fast, but it lasts a season and then I refresh. I use white so the cooler stays colder, too.

• Like 3

I just use the cheap craft paint from Walmart. It's around $0.96 per bottle. I slap on a coat. Use my hair dryer to dry it. Add extra coats with more hair drying between each coat. I can build up three or four coats in twenty minutes or so this way. There's little to no smell. It's easy to clean up. It's just easy-peasy.