Seachem Advance

On 1/18/2022 at 8:43 PM, Kurt Brutting said:

I have 2 questions any insight is appreciated. Does anyone have success with Seachem Advance in their planted aquariums and the second question is can Seachem Advance promote alge? 

I've never use Seachem Advance. I do use Seachem Flourish.

Here is an ingredients comparison -- Advance on the left, Flourish on the right. Practically speaking, Advance is a very limited, focussed treatment whereas Flourish is much more of a broad-range fertilizer.

935203090_ScreenShot2022-01-18at9_24_01PM.png.7e0eb37162f01da320f0bc3baaf3e4ee.png

I've had excellent success with Flourish. Here is one tank that I use it exclusively in. Every time I change water, I add a cap-full.

3C7AD124-8FDE-40C4-A69E-10A3410BB6A8.jpeg.28098cb16ff7ea517e22656f075685b8.jpeg

0010FC77-F292-4646-829D-9E176EBC079D.jpeg.c5b2287a810874ed9fc46bb2fc8fbfd0.jpeg 

• Like 2

I’m reading between the lines here, but it sounds like you might be having an algae problem. No matter what fertilizer you use it’s important to create a balance between fertilizer and lighting. Healthy plants that have plenty of nutrients and enough light seem to attract less algae. If you have naturally high Nitrates in your tank then the Advance might be the way to go. If your tank runs lean on Nitrates you might want to try something like Easy Green that has lots of Nitrogen. In any case lighting plays a huge part in algae growth so take a look at your  intensity and photoperiod in addition to how much fertilizer you’re adding. 

• Like 1

I made 2 changes recently to one of my planted aquariums I started dosing Advance everyday and I increased the light sensitivity. I am just starting to notice some green hair or black beard alge. It’s just a light fuzz so it’s hard to tell. I dialed back the light immediately because I have Val in the tank and I don’t want to treat with chemicals. Thank you both for the advice & input. 

• Like 1