Unbalanced ram population

Sweetpickles

This is an amazingly entertaining group of fish! 5 bolivian rams. 2 mature bonded pair. 3 juvies not yet bonded of those I am certain 1 is male. I was almost certain 2 were but now having second thoughts. If so 3 males, 2 females bad idea? Aquire 1 more female to even it out? No one is stressed. They are all so vibrant and full of color. Quite a bit of sparring. I am aware this is normal but when does it cross the line? Many times one getting sparred will lower its head and therefore recieves a "kiss" on the forehead. I want to be sure I have happy fish. 

FYI....I have a bristlenose in qt for all that green stuff and baby platies! 😉

20220111_175159.jpg

• Like 3

After I posted this, I decided to put some flat rocks in the tank. I was just checking out all corners to see how everyone is getting along and their hiding places. Well.....this has happened!! EGGS!!!! This is the original pair. Older of the group. I just noticed how black the males marking are! Wowza!! This is completely exciting!! It will be interesting to see how things developed. 20220115_150156.jpg.1d8b8ee8cca70aee76d8aa8ffd4dc188.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@BenA my ph in this tank 7.2, kh180 gh150. This is a 36 gal. With birch drift wood and one or 2 fossilized coral aka petoskey stones. I have a 20 gal with a ph of 6.8 with unknown drift wood and petoskey stones. Both are planted tanks. I have no idea why they are diff but our water is hard here in michigan so using nature you can easily change parameters. 

I am not an expert on water parameters but if you dont already have drift wood and or botanical you may try and add that to make your water closer to what you need for rams. I am not sure how to convert kh to dkh. I actually have elements in my tank that work against one another like the petoskey stone and drift wood. Drift wood lowers ph and stone would cause it to be harder water. Like I said I am not an expert. I just know that what I have in my tank seems to be working. I hope you can have the joy of keeping rams someday. They are very amusing! Definitely need a nice group to get the full appreciation of their behavior! 

19.8=1dg.

I have drift wood and plants but my water are hard. The only way for me is to mix IO water to reduce KH / GH and then to modify the PH. I am not sure how stable the tank will be and don't want to find it the hard way.

• Like 1