New Powerhead Tank Size Opinions?

Ken

My last two HOBs are on a 40B and 20L (36" and 30" long). I'd like to be rid of the HOBs all together. I'm thinking of putting the new CoOp powerheads on the sponge filters, if you have one the new powerheads what is your opinion? Will the flow be overwhelming? Both tanks have some plants and hard scape to break up the flow a little. No big flowing finned fish but my Lemon Tetras seem to avoid being in the output of the HOB.

• Like 1

I do not have the powerhead connected to my sponge filter because it simply does not fit in my aquarium(too much stuff in the way and it can be quite tall) but I do have the powerhead with a prefilter sponge around the intake in my 40 breeder. Here is a little video of it:

6BA093B2-2B0F-4D8D-A175-D40A15049121.gif.5eb9118516ad6c1b06319d996553c3f5.gif
It does cause quite a bit of water flow directly in front of it (first foot to foot and a half or so I would say) but my corydoras love it. You cam see the leaves sway and the corys playing in the flow as I have it pointing towards the front glass panel. I would probably shy away from it in a 20 long though unless you have fish in there that like a high flow environment. I would do 2 of the small sponge filters in a 20 long, one at each corner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I have the new ACO power head with the large intake sponge on it in my 100 gal planted tank. It has great flow in the 'blast zone' but there are still calm spots in the tank for fish to relax in.

If you have high flow fish in the 20 they will love it. I would suggest get one to try in both tanks. It will be great in the 40, but you may not like it in the 20.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:49 PM, Isaac M said:

I do not have the powerhead connected to my sponge filter because it simply does not fit in my aquarium(too much stuff in the way and it can be quite tall) but I do have the powerhead with a prefilter sponge around the intake in my 40 breeder. Here is a little video of it:

6BA093B2-2B0F-4D8D-A175-D40A15049121.gif.5eb9118516ad6c1b06319d996553c3f5.gif
It does cause quite a bit of water flow directly in front of it (first foot to foot and a half or so I would say) but my corydoras love it. You cam see the leaves sway and the corys playing in the flow as I have it pointing towards the front glass panel. I would probably shy away from it in a 20 long though unless you have fish in there that like a high flow environment. I would do 2 of the small sponge filters in a 20 long, one at each corner. 

Um . . . this is possibly my favorite tank on the planet right now. What in the world! That is so beautiful. I've never seen Corydoras look to totally thrilled in a tank before. Well done!!!

• Thanks 1

Oh my did I just get approval from the legendary @Fish Folk, thank you very much! Haha 

I have found that corydoras seem to thrive a lot better in aquariums dedicated to just them. The tanks I have them in with other community fish just do not seem to have as much fun. In this aquarium, they play, they swim freely, they eat all day without having to fight for food, they breed, baby corydoras raise up on their own, I love it and they seem to love it too haha 

Here is a video I took of the Sterbai Corydoras while I was working at my desk:

1AEBD616-9CA3-4608-B93D-8C54BAF693CA.gif.1c58ea692b50413d0cb108c8395e3830.gif

And here is one of my favorite videos of my school of pygmy corydoras in that same aquarium playing in the water flow:

89BB4BAD-7185-43F1-A25A-79A52E6EDD10.gif.993a9226180777346a112e2efe648b10.gif

Edited by Isaac M
  • Like 3
  • Love 1