Feeding Corydoras

Chad

I got 8 Panda Cory's a while back and just added them to my community tank a few days ago. On the great advice of @Guppysnail I fed them hikari... um cory wafers? Okay too lazy to grab the bag and verify exact name. Anyway, they're great, the cory's love 'em. Turns out tho, every fish in the tank loves 'em too. Rummies, platies, neons, guppies, they're all in a frenzy for these darn things easily overpowering the cory's to eat them. I feed my pleco and shrimp at night when it's dark and the rest of the tank is sleeping, should I be doing this for the Cory's as well? Do they feed at night? Any tips or just leave it be and don't worry about it too much? Appreciate any insights you all might have.

I cut terra cotta pots in half. I stick the Cory wafers…yeah I. To lazy to grab the bag too 🤣 under it because my guppies are 🐷’s. The panda enjoy eating in the tunnel. It does not stop the guppies but it made my pandas brave enough to eat beside them now they nose guppies out of the way. They also enjoy the shade

image.jpg

• Like 2

I like to feed in layers. Some floating flake food on top and then shrimp pellets on the bottom. My swordtails attack the flake food first and don't bother with the shrimp pellets until the flake food is pretty much gone. That buys the bottom feeders some unmolested time before the swordtails swarm down to clean up the rest. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, gardenman said:

I like to feed in layers. Some floating flake food on top and then shrimp pellets on the bottom. My swordtails attack the flake food first and don't bother with the shrimp pellets until the flake food is pretty much gone. That buys the bottom feeders some unmolested time before the swordtails swarm down to clean up the rest. 

That's a good tactic @gardenman and the one I tried this morning, fed flakes and the wafers at the same time. It didn't matter, the rummies attacked the wafers right away and the rest of the tank followed suit half a minute later. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

There is something super yummy about those particular wafers. They are the yum snac for all my fish even my Cpd bottom feed on them. Must have fish-nip in them🤣

For sure! I've had very mixed results with sinking wafers in the past. Bought some expensive-ish Northfin Algae Wafers a few years back and would only get piles of algae dust where they landed in the tank. Nothing would eat them.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:11 AM, Chad said:

I got 8 Panda Cory's a while back and just added them to my community tank a few days ago. On the great advice of @Guppysnail I fed them hikari... um cory wafers? Okay too lazy to grab the bag and verify exact name. Anyway, they're great, the cory's love 'em. Turns out tho, every fish in the tank loves 'em too. Rummies, platies, neons, guppies, they're all in a frenzy for these darn things easily overpowering the cory's to eat them. I feed my pleco and shrimp at night when it's dark and the rest of the tank is sleeping, should I be doing this for the Cory's as well? Do they feed at night? Any tips or just leave it be and don't worry about it too much? Appreciate any insights you all might have.

Yeah I found feeding them when the lights are off works. The other fish can't find the food. As @gardenman said, feed the flakes and other floating foods while you feed wafers. Also try to put several wafers in different places of the tank so that even if all the other fish are eating one, the cories can eat the other ones.

• Like 2