betta operculum stuck open, what do i do?

tzahroxi

my betta's operculum is open on one side, ive been looking and nothing appears to be stuck. i l googled a bit and could this be gill hyperplasia? I  dont see anything under the operculum as her breaths and i cant really tell if it is inflamed as he is a more orange red fish. i checked the parameters a few days ago when i was going to do a watcher change but i ended up just topping off the water cause the parameters were fine. he tends to flare at the nerites i have in there occasionally, could this be the issue? i have moved the nerites to another tank and added some salt to his tank. 

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

On 1/1/2022 at 11:03 PM, HydraSlayer said:

Besides the operculum has he acted any different? if not then I'd say don't worry about it. As long as his behavior is normal then it should be fine.

he might be breathing a bit more but i cant really tell as every time i try to get a good look i think i scare him with the light. will this heal with time or is it permanent?

On 1/1/2022 at 7:25 PM, tzahroxi said:

my betta's operculum is open on one side, ive been looking and nothing appears to be stuck. i l googled a bit and could this be gill hyperplasia? I  dont see anything under the operculum as her breaths and i cant really tell if it is inflamed as he is a more orange red fish. i checked the parameters a few days ago when i was going to do a watcher change but i ended up just topping off the water cause the parameters were fine. he tends to flare at the nerites i have in there occasionally, could this be the issue? i have moved the nerites to another tank and added some salt to his tank. 

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

Hi! I'm pondering whether this is gill flukes or gill hyperplasia? Research on both and get back so we can figure what is the best course of action. 

On 1/2/2022 at 12:26 AM, BettasAreSuperior said:

Hi! I'm pondering whether this is gill flukes or gill hyperplasia? Research on both and get back so we can figure what is the best course of action. 

i dont think its flukes, he is pretty active and not flashing or lethargic. he is swimming around ok and maybe a bit faster breathing. i was thinking gill hyperplasia but i dont know much about it and what is online if the same on repeat

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 9:10 AM, Colu said:

He some information I found on Gill hyperplasia

Screenshot_20220102-150902~2.png

Screenshot_20220102-150936~2.png

On 1/2/2022 at 4:14 PM, BettasAreSuperior said:

@tzahroxi, is he getting noticeably better since the salt treatment? How long have you been doing it? According to @Colu's post, it says we should identify the underlying cause but I'm not sure how we can do that as your betta looks fine other than his operculum open.

he seems normal to me. i havent noticed anything weird aside from the operculum open on one side, even when looking under and comparing to the other side, it looks fine and nothing appears to be stuck or abnormal. the only thing i could think is that he really hates the nerites i had in there. i moved them out but he would flare at them a lot when he finally noticed them. it wasnt all the time so i wasnt worried, but now it is the only thing i can think of. he might be breathing a bit more, its hard to tell. there wasnt any ammonia and i only toped up the water a few days ago when i did my weekly checks on parameters.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:14 PM, BettasAreSuperior said:

post, it says we should identify the underlying cause but I'm not sure how we can do that as your betta looks fine other than his operculum open.

Gill Hyperplasia can have multiple causes parastic bacterial  injury poor water quality you can norrow it down a bit by going down the list checking your water parameters any signs of gill flukes such as flashing rapid breathing and so on  though process of elimination  

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 3:05 PM, Colu said:

Gill Hyperplasia can have multiple causes parastic bacterial  injury poor water quality you can norrow it down a bit by going down the list checking your water parameters any signs of gill flukes such as flashing rapid breathing and so on  though process of elimination  

Agreed. @tzahroxi, could you share your exact water parameters?

Edited by BettasAreSuperior