Treatment for guppy fin

Coof

My black Moscow male has a nice chunk of his fin growing what looks like some fungus. I’d love to get some advice from others with a lot more experience in how they handle this. With guppies especially males with larger tail fins I’m sure this is an ongoing issue. 

He is in a ten gallon with 4 females. Water change weekly. PH 6.8 ish 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, nitrate between 5 and 10 ppm. 

I have Maracyn on hand but haven’t treated yet. I’m resisting the urge to kinda gently tug off that excess piece. 

3E3E6E46-8838-428A-A0C0-852326470E11.png.bf163ffe3673367d3bb0a5a9fd5bae85.png

Hmm, that happened to one of my livebearers as well. First, I treated it by moving the fish to a quarantine tub without any plants and adding 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water (see Level 3 treatment from this article). Later on, I found out that many fancy livebearers are raised in mineral-rich, high pH, brackish water and the fungus infection started because I have soft water with low GH or low mineral content (see the "Shimmies, Shimmying..." section in this article on livebearer disease). Once I added Seachem Equilibrium to my livebearer tank (to raise my GH to greater than 8 degrees or 140 ppm), then the fungus permanently went away and never came back. You may also want to raise your pH gradually by adding crushed coral (see the last section in this pH article). Hope that helps!

Edited by Irene
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 3:47 PM, Irene said:

Hmm, that happened to one of my livebearers as well. First, I treated it by moving the fish to a quarantine tub without any plants and adding 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water (see Level 3 treatment from this article). Later on, I found out that many fancy livebearers are raised in mineral-rich, high pH, brackish water and the fungus infection started because I have soft water with low GH or low mineral content (see the "Shimmies, Shimmying..." section in this article on livebearer disease). Once I added Seachem Equilibrium to my livebearer tank (to raise my GH to greater than 8 degrees or 140 ppm), then the fungus permanently went away and never came back. You may also want to raise your pH gradually by adding crushed coral (see the last section in this pH article). Hope that helps!

Irene

thank you for the in depth answer. When I setup my tanks months ago I did a lot of reading and watched plenty of videos. Several were yours and I always take something away from them. I did put a small media bag with some crushed coral in each of my guppy tanks. My ph has dropped since I put them in several months ago. I’m guilty of not testing for KH and GH enough. Maybe the amount of crushed coral isn’t large enough or maybe I need to give the bag a shake in the tank every so often since I prefer a bare bottom tank. 

I did just setup a plastic tub and put my guppy in that has the issues. I treated with salt so we shall see. I also added a little equilibrium to each tank as well. This will be a work in progress until I can get a solid process in place to have more stable water parameters. 

thanks again 

• Like 1