Is this safe?

Cinnebuns

I know copper is dangerous for invertebrates. This got me thinking, are other metals dangerous for our aquariums?  There is metal in the hooks for the suction cups for this corral I made for my water lettuce.  I don't know what type of metal it is and just realized now it could be an issue or I would have waited to put it in. I called the company to ask the metal type but they won't answer until Monday. 

20211230_085503.jpg

20211231_190753.jpg

• Like 1

@Fish Folk I did buy and originally intend to use zip ties to attach it but I honestly am not sure how I could easily take the hooks out. Worth trying tho maybe. 

Oh they slide off easy haha. I might do that for now. The hooks are nice but without knowing what kind of metal it's not worth the risk. What metals other than copper aren't safe, if any?

Edited by Cinnebuns

@Cinnebuns Try putting the hooks outside the aquarium with the hook going up. Then make a thread or plain dental floss or whatever with a loop on each end. Put one loop over the coral, the other loop over the hook. Fiddle with hook placement to adjust tension.

Or take the hook off the suction cup. Make a circle of thread/dental floss. Make a larks head knot (if you tat, it is a full tat) around the knob on the suction cup (or any knot you like) and put the coral through the loop. That keeps the cup on the inside and out of sight.

Or use clear fishing line and a hot darning needle (or thickish wire or twisted doubled thin wire) to make a hole through the knob. (Note hold needle, wire with vice grips while heating with a lighter or candle, don't burn your fingers !)

Edited by KittenFishMom

@Cinnebuns; If you're wanting to attach a coral frag to live rock or any other material, go to the LFS where you bought the coral and ask if they carry a two-part epoxy putty that works underwater. You squeeze out a pea-sized piece from each tube, knead them together, place the mixed putty on the bottom of your coral frag, and attach it to whatever you want to attach the coral to, and it will still be holding long after the cows come home.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!