Surprising results when seeding a new aquarium from established aquariums

BenAquatics

I added 0.5ppm of ammonia to a new 4 gallon nano tank and seeded the tank by squeezing mulm from an Aquaclear 20 in my established 20 gallon aquarium (I made sure the filter media did not come into direct contact with the water that had 0.5ppm of ammonia). After 24 hours, I was surprised to see that I still had 0.5ppm ammonia and 0 nitrite and nitrate, so I squeezed mulm from another Aquaclear 20 (from a different established aquarium) into the same 4 gallon nano tank. Another day later, still no nitrite or nitrate.

I was under the impression that the seeded nano tank would be ready to go immediately as long as I start off with a low bioload. It's been ~5 days now and I'm finally seeing non-zero nitrites and nitrates.

Edited by BenAquatics
  • Like 1

Seeded media in my opinion  is a very awesome gift this hobby gives to us.  but it's not a Magic cycle button that just poof your tanks ready to go.  gonna take awhile to get processing still got to start breaking down this from that and give it a constant ammonia source throw fish Flake in there knowing its gonna just sink to the bottom and create waste do a weekly water change vs dailys with fish in cycle . Doing so it will cycle quicker than doing fish in cycle but still take a little time! Enjoy the experience 🐠🐟🐠🐟👍

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, BenAquatics said:

I was under the impression that the seeded nano tank would be ready to go immediately as long as I start off with a low bioload. It's been ~5 days now and I'm finally seeing non-zero nitrites and nitrates.

Wonderful that you tested and measured this!  I agree that people talk about exactly what you did as something that makes a tank instantly ready for aquatic animal life.  You've done a wonderful job cautioning people that it will still take a bit of time to get everything ready.  I'd be curious how this tank progresses for you.  Thanks for sharing your results!

• Like 4