Bowfront likely to leak / choosing tanks?

Chiasmus

I have just enough space in my living room for either a 55 gallon, a 72 gallon bowfront, or a 60 gallon (same footprint as 55 but taller). My husband loves the look of the bowfront and I love that it’s a larger size that would still fit in the space, but I heard recently they may be more prone to leaks. Anyone have experience or knowledge on if bowfronts are more likely to leak? I noticed the 72 bowfronts are hard to find new, but don’t know if it’s due to COVID or because the manufacturers are discontinuing them. 

Also, if you were planning on a planted tank, would you go for higher water volume (like the 60) or would the shorter 55 gallon be a better bet? I’m looking at used options and unsure what to get. Fish will probably be cherry barbs, green neon tetras, otos, and honey gouramis. 

Obviously the 55 is easier to find, but I’m leaning toward a bowfront if I can find a good one and it’s not leak prone. I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks! 

I don't think that this is a myth or uncommon as both my 46 and 72 bowfronts had the brace break and both ended up leaking. I fixed both by using a stainless steel brace replacement and an extra thick bead of black aquarium silicone. 

Now that I do aquarium service, I offer tank repairs and the only tank I had to repair was also a bowfront that cracked the top frame and separated the front panel.

I know you didn't list this as an option, but for what you want, maybe look at a 75 instead of a 55 or 60. Both 55's and 60's only have 4 square feet of ground space for plants and hardscape. A 75 ends up with 6 square feet and allows much bigger hardscape and more room to layer plants and create depth. 

If you do go with a bowfront, I'd preemptively reinforce the cross brace with something stronger than 1/4" plastic they come with. 

• Like 1

@Mr. Ed's Aquatics thanks for the detailed reply. That was what I was afraid of, after seeing a comment about bowfronts elsewhere. I’m at least glad to find out before purchasing. I almost bought one last week before I heard anything, but it had a huge unmentioned chip on the side and I backed out of the sale. I’ll think about reinforcement, but your comment makes me seriously reconsider. I was the one that found my brother’s 100 gallon mid-leak and half full when we were kids, so I am a bit afraid of leaks. 

In terms of footprint, the bowfront gives us just enough extra room to fit where it would need to go. I’m rather sure the depth of the 75 would be just a little too deep to fit well, although I now have a good reason remeasure to be sure. 

I currently own a 72 bow front as my living room and only tank and love it. Everyone that sees it for the first time is impressed due to it's uniqueness.

I did experience a center support failure as mentioned in a previous post, but I think that was due to more of my negligence while cleaning than a poor tank design. I deeply scored it repeatedly scraping off algae. If you go this rout I would 'go easy' on this part of the setup just in case. I had the original tank for about 5 years before the failure, I have had the replacement for around 10 years since with zero problems and no leaks in either setup. I find the height 22" to be just enough to manage cleaning and maintenance. Anything taller and I won't be able to reach in and do what is needed. If you are 6+ ft tall, you won't have this issue.

It is 4ft long which is a standard length so lights will be easy to find. The only hard to find parts will be the stand, unless you plan on building your own and the glass top. Everything else can be sized to suite the tank size an your needs/preferences.

I believe they are more rare simply due to consumer preferences (think things going in and out of fashion) and the extra cost. It's easier to stock and sell a cheaper 55 rectangular tank and standard hoods that fit multiple tanks than an 'odd' shaped tank with a one-off hood that is more expensive.  It's simply the cost to stock A vs the cost to stock B. When I got mine many years ago, 1/4 circle corner tanks were very popular.

IMHO, go with the biggest tank that will fit your space and that you can maintain. Bigger tanks not only fit more fish, they are actually much more stable (e.g. an ammonia spike will take much longer vs a 20g).

Have fun with your new tank!

72gBowFull.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must respectfully disagree with ange.

The pressure at any point on the aquarium glass is only a function of height not shape. That's why a levee can hold back a river, lake or even the ocean. the 'width' of water does not matter, only the height.

Density stays the same in this case, Gravity stays the same, the only thing which changes which effects the pressure is the height.

Any tank with the same height regardless of shape, rectangular, hex, bow, round, the pressure at the bottom or at any point at the same height will be the same.

Sorry the engineer in me had to go to the equations.

This does not mean that, given the odd shape and low frequency of building them, that bow fronts may be more difficult to make or manufacturers will have less experience making the tank. These factors can individually or combine to affect quality. Tanks which are made literally by the hundreds/thousands allow mfrs to 'dial in' their processes which increases quality.

Which ever way you go, I hope you enjoy your new tank.

fluid-pressure.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1