Pom Pom Crabs?

Cinnebuns

Has anyone kept these?  I know they are relatively new to the hobby so there isn't a ton of info to be found. I kinda want a crab. So far I have a 29 community tank running, 1 10 gallon cycled, 1 10 gallon and a 5 gallon available when needed. Damn multiple tank syndrome got me. Pom pom crabs sound perfect to me but I have some questions...

1.  Are they ok for a beginner?  I've only been in the hobby for a little over a month. I've learned a ton and literally spend multiple hours a day reading articles, asking questions, and watching YouTube. Thank God for @Cory for saving my behind a few times!  But I know I still have a lot to learn. I'm willing to put in the work but also don't wanna buy a crab just for it to die the next day. 

2.  Everything I've read says they work well with community fish. I have glo tetras and guppies. Confirm that would work?

3.  Would it require sand?  I hate the idea of sand. I have a pretty fine gravel substrate. Is that good enough?  

4.  How would they impact the biomass?  Aqadvisor doesn't have pom pom crabs as an option so I would have to rough estimate this myself. 

5.  If you've owned them, do you enjoy them?  Are they as cool as I imagine or will I be disappointed?  

6.  Any info you think would be helpful is more than welcome. 

• Administrators

We got them in a few times years ago.  They hide all the time, I don't see the appeal in them. We were finding them in the tank many months after we thought we sold out cause they hid so well. Didn't really see them eat or do much at least in the store setting we had them in.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:05 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

I would think you're a seasoned pro.

I think a crab or three would be interesting. (Do crabs have to exit the water from time to time?)

I can`t wait to see what you decide to do. 

From what I know most crabs are roughly 80% aquatic so yes need a platform or dry area to exit. Pom pom crabs however are fully aquatic and peaceful which is what made them desirable. If they aren't very active and are rarely seen however I might not waste my time and might save my crab adventure for a later time and my inevitable 12th tank. 

@BuzzDaddy21 just don't tell my apartment manager I replaced the kitchen with a fishroom. 

• Like 1

I have two pom pom crabs, and they're in separate tanks. They actually are active, but they're nocturnal, so you won't see them at all during the day. Mine come out like clockwork about 1.5 hours after lights out. They are experts at digging out holes for themselves and will hide in the substrate during the day.

I'd recommend you keep them in small tanks with a white or black substrate (nothing too brown, they'll blend in) so you can spot them more easily. Install a very dim light so you can see them come out at night. The one in my tank with white substrate I see daily, the one in my other tank with multicolored substrate.... not so much. Almost impossible to find him.

Hope this helps!

EDIT to actually answer your questions:

1/2. I have my crabs with kuhli loaches and with endlers/shrimp. If the one in the endler tank eats any shrimp, I haven't seen it. It's been totally safe so far. I think they're hardy and pretty good for a beginner, as I didn't do drip acclimation and they settled right in.

3. They might burrow easier in sand, but they're doing just fine digging out holes for themselves in my gravel. They're extremely quick.

4. Biomass is negligible. Very tiny. They're only an inch big including legs.

5. I like them, but I wish I put them both in the same tank. I think that would be more fun to watch on a white substrate than losing one to the sandier jungle in my endler tank.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1

@laritheloud  I'm trying to make some long term plans, which I've found is extremely helpful in this hobby, and I'm thinking I have a tank setup they would work in. Wanna see if you agree based on your experience. Everything I've read sounds like it would but I wanna make sure. Would be a 10 gallon with most likely just 1 female guppy and either neon or ember tetras. 

On 12/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@laritheloud  I'm trying to make some long term plans, which I've found is extremely helpful in this hobby, and I'm thinking I have a tank setup they would work in. Wanna see if you agree based on your experience. Everything I've read sounds like it would but I wanna make sure. Would be a 10 gallon with most likely just 1 female guppy and either neon or ember tetras. 

That should be fine. Pick a white or black substrate, and I think the crabs would love some moss to pick off of. I think they're worth a shot and fun little critters with a bit of a novelty to them. Just get a nice snug lid just in case -- mine have shown no signs of wanting to leave the tank, but it's good to be safe.

Just an update: my pair of crabs have become much more active as they have settled in their separate tanks. I see them really often now, digging through the gravel/sand to pick out food and staking out perimeter checks. They do like to eat very small-sized pest snails (baby ramshorns and bladder snails), but not enough to make a noticeable dent in the population. I find their antics entertaining.

They're probably best off in a nano tank setting without anything around to harass them. I've seen the crabs kick away neocaridina to tell them to back off from his morsel of food and throw fists up at the kuhli loaches without actually hurting them, but I'd imagine they would hide a lot if there were, say, a platy around harrassing him.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:42 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@laritheloud the tank I was considering putting them in would be a 10 gallon with my 1 breeding female guppy and some neon tetras. I thought that might be a nice addition to have 1 or 2 crabs in there too. 

Should be fine. Don't be surprised if he hides out at first, and they BURROW, so they'll be hiding in the substrate somewhere. But they will come out and you'll see them skittering around before long. Ours like to hang around the perimeter and dig/climb.