Trying to treat white spots

Mongo_like_fish

Ok, so I picked up this Rubberlip from the local big box store about 3 weeks ago. Currently have it in 20g quarantine. As of about 10 min ago parameters are, according to API Liquid; Ammo =0. No² =0. No³ =0. PH =7.8 (typical for my region). GH =6 degrees. KH =4 degrees. Temp according to my digital thermometer is 77.7 F. I've run it through a 4 day treatment of Ich-x doing dosing and water changes per instructions on the bottle and didn't see any improvement. Gave it a couple days off and now on day 4 of treatment with ParaCleanse thinking it might be Velvet instead of Ich, but still not seeing improvement. Was thinking about salt, but have heard/read that they can be salt sensitive. Thoughts, tips, suggestions? Thanks!20211219_150646.jpg.96c5695cfe263a047ef88cb4bd1e8da9.jpg

@Mongo_like_fish; Your fish has Ich and it's common for bottom dwellers because Ich lives in your substrate. Raise your water temp to about 85 degrees in all of your tanks and keep it there, Ich will not survive temps above 80, but your fish originally came from water that is much warmer. Go to Wally World to get s box or two of Jungle Ich Clear fizz tabs and follow directions, one fizz tab for each 10 G. If you raise your water temp to about 85 degrees, you'll probably only need to treat once.

Thanks @Gator. I knew raising the temp up would help excellerate the life cycle of the ich, or high enough would kill it outright. But I wasn't sure if the pleco could handle that high of temp, and I wasn't sure if it was actually ich that I was dealing with since the Ich-x didn't seem to put a dent in it. I'll get the Jungles  and give it a try. How long do you think the rubberlip can tolerate that high of temp? They're normal temp range is usually listed as topping out around 78.

@Mongo_like_fish; I think your fish should live a long and healthy life at 85 degrees, but I'd recommend that you don't exceed 85 degrees. 

I've seen Ich-X at my LFS, and I read the directions, I'll stick with the Jungle if I ever need it, it's easier to dose and may be more effective (?). Ich-X reminds me too much of Mela-Fix and Pima-Fix, both of which were ineffective, maybe Ich-X is made by the same company as Mela-Fix and Pima-Fix.

• Thanks 1

This actually could be Epistylis if it's not responding to ich treatment alone. You can try a different Ich med (like Kordon Rid-Ich) and administer kanaplex or maracyn 2 in your fish's food. Use a scoop of antibiotic + a scoop of Seachem Focus and soak in food to medicate the feed, refrigerate and feed ONLY the medicated food for 7 to 10 days.

@Colu can give you more detailed treatment instructions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rubber lipped pleco won't do good at temperature over 80 I wouldn't raise the temperature it could be Epistylis as @laritheloud  has suggested he's how you tell the two apart if your not sure if you if it ich or Epistylis you can treat kanaplex in food and ick x to treat the water column ick x is highly effective treatment nothing like melafix and primafix as they don't treat ich and are made by a different company @Gator

Screenshot_20210915-195657~2.png

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mongo_like_fish said:

Ok, so I picked up this Rubberlip from the local big box store about 3 weeks ago. Currently have it in 20g quarantine. As of about 10 min ago parameters are, according to API Liquid; Ammo =0. No² =0. No³ =0. PH =7.8 (typical for my region). GH =6 degrees. KH =4 degrees. Temp according to my digital thermometer is 77.7 F. I've run it through a 4 day treatment of Ich-x doing dosing and water changes per instructions on the bottle and didn't see any improvement. Gave it a couple days off and now on day 4 of treatment with ParaCleanse thinking it might be Velvet instead of Ich, but still not seeing improvement. Was thinking about salt, but have heard/read that they can be salt sensitive. Thoughts, tips, suggestions? Thanks!20211219_150646.jpg.96c5695cfe263a047ef88cb4bd1e8da9.jpg

Don’t raise the temp!  This definitely looks like epistylus.  Ich has much more uniform size dots the size of salt granules.  Epistylus has these more irregular spots with variation is size and shape.  Epistylus grows better at higher temps.  It’s one of the few times that dropping the temp can sometimes help.

Definitely treat with Ich-X, and also treat with Kanaplex in the food since Epistylus is often a co-infection with bacteria.  @Colu has it all spelled out for you, follow his directions exactly.  Be careful with the dose of Garlic Guard or Entice, don’t overdo it on garlic.

• Thanks 1

First of all thanks to @Gator, @Colu, @laritheloud, and @Odd Duck for your help. Looks like the general consensus is that I'm dealing with Epistylus. I went ahead and dropped the temp down to about 75.5 -76 F to help slow progression  and dosed ich-x again. As for feeding, I've not been able to get him accept any foods I've offered so far (Hikari algae wafers, bottom feeder wafers, Fluval pleco sticks, fresh cucumber) I place the food in the back corner, leave the lights off and leave the food in for about 8 hrs. That's not to say he hasn't been eating tho, as I believe he's just eating on the drift wood. He's not lost any weight in the 3 weeks I've had him and there is no shortage of feces when I vacuum during water changes (he's the only fish in the tank). 20211220_141838.jpg.2294f578542b3dafc731ad760304f85c.jpgAny suggestions on a specific food to try with the Kanaplex? If not, would Maracyn in the water column be sufficient to treat secondary bacterial infection until I can figure out what he'll readily accept? Also, how long in your opinion would it be safe to continue daily ich-x treatments?

• Like 1