Would this solar panel & battery run a Co-op USB air pump during the day & night

eddie462

Here are the specifications: 

• Capacity: 30000mAh
  • USB Output: 5V/2.1A
  • Input: 5V/2A
  • Charging Time: 14 hours

I would like to use this to run a co-op small sponge filter with a usb nano air pump on a pond. I would like to breed Pseudomugil gertrudae in this pond with which be a barrel planter that is in the second picture. I think the volume is 15 gallons. I was going to purchase a solar panel without a battery, but I don’t know if the BB would survive on the filter at night without aeration. I know that BB grows on all available surfaces, but I don’t know if they will survive with flow at night. Any help would be appreciated. 

B4686541-14FE-4000-8965-D6041F346474.jpeg

2DC38555-A804-4976-9C8C-F82E9807F4C0.jpeg

Neat idea.  But you left a lot to unpack here.

The USB nano uses ~1\3 watt. The 30000 mAH ( or 30 Ah) has about 150 Wh, so likely can run the pump for ~450 hours without recharging.  I expect the solar charger wont quite charge the battery as much as the drawdown over night, and you could also see the battery develop a memory over time.  So likely not the best solution, but it could work.

is there a reason you want to use this for power instead of a usb charger plugged into the wall?

On 12/18/2021 at 11:12 PM, Ken Burke said:

Neat idea.  But you left a lot to unpack here.

The USB nano uses ~1\3 watt. The 30000 mAH ( or 30 Ah) has about 150 Wh, so likely can run the pump for ~450 hours without recharging.  I expect the solar charger wont quite charge the battery as much as the drawdown over night, and you could also see the battery develop a memory over time.  So likely not the best solution, but it could work.

is there a reason you want to use this for power instead of a usb charger plugged into the wall?

I watched this video from Aquapros, 

In the description there’s a link to this pond pump with battery and a solar panel. My other idea was to buy the solar panel in this picture and attach a usb nano air pump to it. I rewatched this video and Mike said that the pump being off at night isn’t an issue for planted ponds like what I want to set up. I would like to save money by using a solar panel instead of hooking it up to my electricity.  

721D5D92-2103-4BD2-A47C-6D89C1E53003.jpeg

• 2 years later...

It really depends on the specs of the solar panel and battery. You'll want to make sure they're powerful enough to keep the USB air pump running day and night. It might be a good idea to check with solar ireland or another expert to get their opinion. They can help you figure out if the setup will work for your needs. Solar power can be a great option for running devices like this, but you want to make sure you have the right setup to avoid any issues.

Edited by michellemaz
  • Like 1