Fluval Flex 15g Environment (need advice)

Thee Dapper Dad

Hello Group.  Need help. I wanted to get an aquarium for my girls but it turned into mine lol.  What a great stress relief. I am also someone who wants to have everything perfect. I think I screwed up with my enthusiasm.  Currently I have a Fluval Flex 15g with 1 Male koi Beta, 6 Harlies, and 5 Cherry shrimp.  The tank is 4 weeks old good water conditions.  I have purchased several plants from Aquarium Co op. I would say my tank is moderate to minimumly stocked with plants since they are just starting to grow. I think I made a mistake in my excitement. I have en route from Aqua Hunt 8 Galaxies size small 2 borneo suckers and 8 more red chili shrimp.  Is that to much for this tank?  if so, thoughts on resolution.

image.jpg

Edited by Thee Dapper Dad
Added picture

I don’t think that should be an issue, bioload wise. Dean put it perfectly in one of the last livestreams: How much work do you want to do? You can keep an insane amount of fish in a smaller tank, but you may be changing water more often. Test the water frequently and it should be fine! 

The only part that I question is the beta. He may start getting aggressive as the tank becomes more stocked. Just something to keep an eye on. All of them have their own personalities, so you very well may be fine! 

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, Gigrantor said:

I don’t think that should be an issue, bioload wise. Dean put it perfectly in one of the last livestreams: How much work do you want to do? You can keep an insane amount of fish in a smaller tank, but you may be changing water more often. Test the water frequently and it should be fine! 

The only part that I question is the beta. He may start getting aggressive as the tank becomes more stocked. Just something to keep an eye on. All of them have their own personalities, so you very well may be fine! 

Thank you for your knowledge 

On 12/18/2021 at 8:55 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

My concern would be the tank is only 4 weeks old. You could crash your cycle if you add too much too fast that is if you even have a cycle? Did you start it with media from another tank or?

Yes a small amount. 

If it's only a small amount I would caution you to add them. If I were in your shoes- if you're not planning to already- I would put the new fish additions in a small Quarantine tank- started by more established tank material if possible. After they pass the muster and your tank is still stable this should be enough time to add them. You could possibly add the shrimp to the tank but this is a very new tank, IME shrimp do better in more established tanks- you'll have to make sure they have access to food while at the same time not creating water parameter issues for you. 

If you choose not to QT (which I warn you against) I would keep a VERY sharp eye on your water parameters and be prepared to do, possibly, daily water changes. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

I have a Flex 15. It’s gone through several incarnations presently home to African Dwarf Frogs. I would agree with @xXInkedPhoenixX that you’ve made a headache for yourself. None of the fish you’ve purchased create much in the way of bioload but the group will stretch the biological filter you’ve built over the last 4 weeks. I don’t think any of them other than the betta have the potential to cause trouble. 

I would buy a Sterilite tote, sponge filter, heater and quarantine these fish. This what @xXInkedPhoenixXis telling you in regards to quarantine. You can get some Fritz 7, turbo start or other bottles biological bacteria to seed the tote with bacteria - you may want to use it in the Flex when you add all these fish to your Foex. I’d treat them (the shrimp don’t need this but some breeders recommend it) with the medication trio from Aquarium Coop. I would then add them slowly each group after a water change every 3 days or so. Aquahuna is great but those fish go through some quick processing but they move a lot of fish quickly and you may have a biological disaster on your hands either from a crashed cycle, disease or a combination of both. Stress is another factor If you can’t get the med trio in them right away still quarantine them, put some aquarium or rock salt in ( not the shrimp just the fish) 1 tablespoon per 5 g, and feed them lightly and watch for signs of disease. Hopefully within 3 days or so you can get the med trio and get them medicated. 

Here’s some pics of my Flex over the years. Welcome to the group and the hobby and we’ll help however we can get you through this!  
F2B86161-BA39-4627-B013-4C2621880BC6.jpeg.9fb73e83b8993571a73117e33cb7489f.jpeg82D1A175-D27F-47C8-9B87-126665F423B1.jpeg.73f8f6801b75f5f6e9bf0226bbca1e1c.jpeg811A298E-5A8C-4B24-94CE-9E1470204801.jpeg.03e5a259c7efa308bff3a0684ca530e8.jpeg79CBF07F-69F2-4204-818D-647B40D5F3EE.jpeg.7b7daf6d6d29ac640dbc28253c20eb29.jpeg

Edited by Beardedbillygoat1975
Changed pics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree with the quarantine of the incoming fish that the other are mentioning. 

An alternative to the cycling problem would be to make a post on a local fish group and ask others for some cycled media. That or I’ve seen people get it from LFS. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:13 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I have a Flex 15. It’s gone through several incarnations presently home to African Dwarf Frogs. I would agree with @xXInkedPhoenixX that you’ve made a headache for yourself. None of the fish you’ve purchased create much in the way of bioload but the group will stretch the biological filter you’ve built over the last 4 weeks. I don’t think any of them other than the betta have the potential to cause trouble. 

I would buy a Sterilite tote, sponge filter, heater and quarantine these fish. This what @xXInkedPhoenixXis telling you in regards to quarantine. You can get some Fritz 7, turbo start or other bottles biological bacteria to seed the tote with bacteria - you may want to use it in the Flex when you add all these fish to your Foex. I’d treat them (the shrimp don’t need this but some breeders recommend it) with the medication trio from Aquarium Coop. I would then add them slowly each group after a water change every 3 days or so. Aquahuna is great but those fish go through some quick processing but they move a lot of fish quickly and you may have a biological disaster on your hands either from a crashed cycle, disease or a combination of both. Stress is another factor If you can’t get the med trio in them right away still quarantine them, put some aquarium or rock salt in ( not the shrimp just the fish) 1 tablespoon per 5 g, and feed them lightly and watch for signs of disease. Hopefully within 3 days or so you can get the med trio and get them medicated. 

Here’s some pics of my Flex over the years. Welcome to the group and the hobby and we’ll help however we can get you through this!  
F2B86161-BA39-4627-B013-4C2621880BC6.jpeg.9fb73e83b8993571a73117e33cb7489f.jpeg82D1A175-D27F-47C8-9B87-126665F423B1.jpeg.73f8f6801b75f5f6e9bf0226bbca1e1c.jpeg811A298E-5A8C-4B24-94CE-9E1470204801.jpeg.03e5a259c7efa308bff3a0684ca530e8.jpeg79CBF07F-69F2-4204-818D-647B40D5F3EE.jpeg.7b7daf6d6d29ac640dbc28253c20eb29.jpeg

Thank you all for you awesome advice. Very much appreciated 

• Like 1