goldfish + plants

NoahT

Well, from my own experience, essentially any plant you add into the tank can and will be destroyed if your particular fish are determined enough.

But, IME, Anubias and Java Fern were both relatively safe bets, and so were large (well-established) crypts. I've heard that Crinums are safe, too, but I've never tried them with goldfish.

I find that fancy goldfish aren’t very hard on a lot of plants, maybe some mosses I’d avoid, however aponogeton, Java ferns, Anubis’s, elodea, hornwort, frogbit, salvinia, vallisinaria and saggitaria, are all things I have used to with goldfish for forever, I also use a lot of house plants in the top of the aquarium, pothos, monstera, alocasia which is also all great 

image.jpg

Edited by GardenStateGoldfish
  • Love 1

They love to eat duckweed and will tug way at hair algae which I appreciate greatly.  I have given them objects that have hair algae on them and they pick it clean.  Fun to watch.  I try to give them veggies to keep them busy.  They did destroy a few moss balls that I’d hoped they would just knock around! 😅