Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish group composition

DannyC

I know it is recommended to have 2 females per 1 male when getting these fish, but what if I don't want any females is that okay? I know the recommended comp is so that there are options for the males and a singular female doesn't get the brunt of all the mating attention, but if I am not worried about breeding them will a group of just males be fine together? I know some other fish are ok in these scenarios, but I am not sure about the dwarf neon rainbow. 

Also, if you want to help me with stocking ideas that would be cool too. I have a 30 gallon long tank. I was thinking like 6 male rainbows (if this is okay for them) and probably like close to 20 cardinals and possibly 6 panda corys or another type of cory. I'll be running a fluval 206 cannister for the filter so I think I should be okay bioload management wise. Also want to plant the tank decently. I never seem to have the best luck with much when it comes to plant, but I really like and want to go for the sweeping val across the top look, but I am not sure what else to go with it or substrate stuff. The light I have is Current Satellite Plus Pro and water pH is roughly 6.8 range.

Edited by DannyC

The female praecox rainbows are actually some of the more attractive female rainbowfish, part of the attraction for me as a wannabe rainbow nerd is that they both look fantastic. Although the boys are slightly more colorful and have deeper bodies and more robust finneage they will not really reach their full potential without the females. I have had them on 3 occasions over the last 20 years and I would never dream of keeping them apart. Also sexing them at a young age is really quite difficult so it may be a challenge to find fish that are in a shop at the sexable age. 

• Like 1

The females are just as gorgeous and it's fun watching them flirt and the males spar over them. Also, as a nerm, fun to say "you know how to tell the males from the females?" 🤓 to anyone one looking at your tank, whether they want to know or not lol. I even got my 6 year old saying it too.

Any reason why you only want males?

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2021 at 3:25 PM, DannyC said:

Probably just more out of ignorance than anything. Just trying to figure things out.

It's all good. The males and females are identical in body coloration, both having the neon blue sheen, which is what makes them so cool, you can have both without sacrificing color. Males will have deeper bodies, with dark red fins and tails. Females are more streamlined with yellow to orange fins and tails.