Cotton mouth

Mark Horowitz

I have a discus tank with cardinals and one of my cardinals has some cotton mouth. Any recommendations? Should I treat the entire tank with Paraguard or simply remove the fish? I am told that cotton mouth is highly contagious so treating the tank may be my only option. Is Parguard safe for Discus? Any advice would be helpful.

• Administrators
On 12/10/2021 at 7:44 AM, Mark Horowitz said:

I have a discus tank with cardinals and one of my cardinals has some cotton mouth. Any recommendations? Should I treat the entire tank with Paraguard or simply remove the fish? I am told that cotton mouth is highly contagious so treating the tank may be my only option. Is Parguard safe for Discus? Any advice would be helpful.

It could be a couple of things. It could be a fungal infection. This can easily be treated with Marycyn https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/mardel-maracyn?_pos=1&_psq=maracy&_ss=e&_v=1.0 and it is safe for fish and inverts. It could also be columnaris, which you will need to research on how to treat effectively (or another forum member may have some advice). 

It is a single white pimple on the side of the mouth. My water is perfect. 0 nitrates, ammonia... PH at 7.0. This same fish has a white patch on its body for the past few months which hasn't done away despite treatment. I can't catch the little guy no matter how hard I have tried and don't want to destroy my entire aquascape and freak out my Discus trying. 

White patches on the body could be Columnaris be the fact it had them for a couple means it's more than likely something else going on and fact it's only affecting one fish in an ideal world I would Qarantine and treat with kanaplex and jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone as furan2 has been discontinued following this treatment schedule

Screenshot_20210721-021420~5.png

Jungal fungas clear has less of the active ingredient 18.4mg of nitrofurazone that why you can use as a substitute for furan2 that has 85mg of nitrofurazone without the risk of overdosing your fish following the treatment schedule   looks like Columnaris it's had it to long Columnaris would have killed your fish by now you can get lumps and loss  of colour with neon   tetra disease  

Edited by Colu

The fish seem to be living with whatever it is just fine. They have had it for a week or two and are swimming and feeding as normal. I would hate to treat the whole tank for whatever it is because I have some very expensive discus in the tank with them. I am not sure at this point if I have a choice. I am using Paraguard for two days already but it may not be the right med.

The only way to describe what it looks like is like the fish has a grain of salt attached to its mouth.

The White lump coupled with the colour loss on its back will require antibiotic treatment paragraud won't have much of an effect  you could do a course of kanaplex in food using the smaller pellets size your discus might ignore them 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu