Filtration and Algae Oh My

Bbaze15

Hello, first time posting here. So I have a 40 gallon cycled tank that I messed up somehow. It has eco-complete substrate on half the tank. I added plants with some root tabs, added thrive  fertilizer and got the normal melting. I also have a fluval plant spectrum LED. I added some snails to help with the algae and got a some loaches. My tank is green, and the plants are struggling and dying. I turned off the light for 2 days. There is even some hair algae growing on the wood. It has a Tidal 55 filter. So here are my questions:

- can I get 2 large aquarium coop sponge filters to replace the HOB? Will that be enough filtration? Or should I get a canister? I prefer sponge filters, the HOB makes too water agitation for the floating plants I think. I also think my tidal 55 is not enough.

- why are my floating plants dying? I have 2 other tanks that I pull handfuls out of every week. The only difference is the HOB and ferts.

- how do I get rid off all the algae? My plan is to do a 50% water change and pull up some of the root tabs, and clean as much as I can. Might pick up some nerites. 
Thanks!

5A532E28-2143-4F89-8035-87E97D211DDA.jpeg

FBF80669-953B-4811-BCB6-A5E959025CBF.jpeg

55CDCCC7-F030-40CC-8448-54789E33FE85.jpeg

F886CA19-FCE9-49E8-B6CE-83CCFA055C48.jpeg

How long is the light on for? Does it get direct sunlight? Diatoms usually disappear when cutting the light period. Also, it looks like they are doing well in the part of the tank that is not shaded by the floating plants. Too much light, perhaps?

The floating plants may not like the agitation.

The light is pre-programmed, so it’s on at varying degrees from 6-6. I move the floating plants around, just recently to the one side to get away from the HOB. The penny wort looks the best out of all the plants. The swords and crypts are covered in algae. No direct sunlight, my living room is actually really dark

Edited by Bbaze15

If your lights on 12 hrs a day that probable the cause of the algae your seeing  I cut you lighting period back to 8hr a day  what are your water parameters if you have very hard water that could be the reason your plants aren't  doing good

I removed all the frogbit and floating plants, found little hopping bugs on the water. Did a 50% water change. My tap water is soft with 1 kH/1 gh so I have crushed coral in the filter which brings it to 4 kH/8 gh, ph is about 7.4. My parameters are currently 0/0/20. I’m gonna change my light timer to 8 hour days.

You are probably low on magnesium. 1dGH and only adding calcium via crushed coral to raise GH seems problematic. 

Reducing light duration is a good start, but I would look into Mg and see where you are. 

Plants enjoy softer water so I would look to have 20ppm Ca and 10ppm Mg. That should have you around 5dGH. 

Personally, I would throw a canister on the tank and I would shoot for 5x to 10x turnover. Sponge filters seem like the wrong direction.

Address the Mg, reducing light duration, increase filtration turnover and large water changes is a good direction to be in.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input! I will be checking everything. I did find a video on YouTube for the light I have and apparently, lol, it was in way to bright for way to long. Gonna check the tds and hopefully the algae will go away, might get more snails too 😀🤞

The problem is actually when the wormhole stabilizes. It causes the nitrates to bind to any and all surfaces and instantly grows algae on the surfaces affected. I had to remove my Stargate for this reason. Thats probably where the bugs came from, too. Maybe install an Iris?

Seriously though, I love your Stargate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1