Sword plants in small tanks?

Lexi B

On 12/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, Lexi B said:

I have two cube betta tanks that are 6 gal 12x12x12s. I've never tried a sword plant, but I worry that maybe they would be too large for that size tank? In particular, I was eyeballing red melon sword. I'm not worried about my light or nutrients in soil and the water column, just space.  

I am not familiar with your type of sword but I have kept others and they get pretty big.  That said. Betta are lazy and will LOVE to lay on the leaves.  I have noticed that if you keep the root tabs to a minimum and lightly supplement easy green. It will stay small.  Keep in mind, my experience is with different swords than what you have. Also. They were in a 65 gal

It will definitely help cut down on water changes. Thats for sure

On 12/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, Lexi B said:

I have two cube betta tanks that are 6 gal 12x12x12s. I've never tried a sword plant, but I worry that maybe they would be too large for that size tank? In particular, I was eyeballing red melon sword. I'm not worried about my light or nutrients in soil and the water column, just space.  

I just got in a good sized E. hadi ‘Red Pearl’ to put into my Betta tank (6 G cube like yours) because my E. schleuteri x barthii ‘Red Flame’ has gotten too big and needs to come out.  The Red Pearl should stay significantly smaller (from 4-9” tall depending on conditions) but still be tall enough and have large enough leaves for my Betta to lounge on if he wants.  Careful selection of variety will let you keep a sword in even very small tanks.

I think your Red Melon will be OK for a while, but will likely need removed after around 6-12 months depending on how big it is when you get it.  Everything I find says 10-20” tall for Red Melons.  That’s about the same size as my Red Flames.  This is my “Volcano” Betta tank with the Red Flame at the back right side.

First pic was when I set up this tank at the end of January this year.

Second pic is mid February.

Third pic is very early May.

Fourth pic is very early August.

Fifth pic is tonight with a confused Betta that I just woke up.  You can see that my Pogostemon helferi at the right front is losing lower leaves, especially at the far right.  I’ve trimmed some leaves from the sword, but it’s still shading that Pogo. helferi too much.  The Red Pearl will take a few months to grow into the space, but will be a better fit in the long run.  I clearly need to add some root tabs, too.  😀 

18BA24B2-7085-47EF-A2C4-0DB2ED3C8618.jpeg

849D7694-9217-40D1-B977-DFE3ADCFC2FF.jpeg

8E31D4B0-647A-49F1-8FF2-409720B8C740.jpeg

19B858DD-322B-4A83-B0F0-5A2DE374D19D.jpeg

19D88C8D-4A89-4F21-841B-FDDDCF92DBF3.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Love 1