Plants & Wood & Rocks

BuzzDaddy21

I finally got 2 tanks up and running.

I would like to start with shrimp. (My fish of choice will be small or not too much over 6") 

My dream is heavily planted tanks, with wood and or rocks. (I have some wood, no rock.)

Suggestions on placement of plants - wood - rock will greatly appreciated. (I really don`t have the eye to tell what would look good.)

Would I need to use rock with wood or vice versa? (I know it`s probably a matter of preference but that's why I`m asking opinions.)

The pictures I see in the forums look really nice. (I have the time to work with plants and landscape, this will keep me busy this winter.)

Maybe I should say size of tanks, 40gal.breeder, (I like the size of this tank - I got 3.) -plus 2 - 20gal. long.)

Wow straight in with 5 aquariums you're not messing about.

Hardscape can be almost anything I quite enjoy using pebbles in simple set ups. Slate is popular and can be dramatic and easy to source. You can find or buy almost anything for the tank just make sure they are inert (stable enough to not have paints or finishes that will not dissolve and poison the water) 

Wood can be found or bought but generally needs to be soaked to remove/reduce tannins and to get it to sink.

Just get a few things together and some plants and have a go more natural scapes are generally pleasing and easy to begin with

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I have some wood and some stone in each of my tanks. I like smooth stones like river rock and large pebbles, so that is what I use. I picked mine up from the shore of Lake Michigan and some local creeks, but you can also buy them from landcape rock suppliers much less expensively than from pet stores.

I like having some white stones so I can more easily see what kinds of algae I'm growing, lol.

Algae Stones.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to remember is that you can always move stuff around later--plants, wood, and stone can all be moved around after the fact if it turns out you have a different idea about what would look nice. So enjoy yourself picking out what you like, adding to it as  you find stuff or can afford more, and enjoy the process of changing things.

I have moved some of my plants a couple of times since the tank was set up in July, and my other tank is going to get a total re-do of the wood and many of the plants as soon as my new wood is waterlogged enough to stay down. I'm looking forward to it.

• Thanks 1