Quarantine tank questions

lmhicks101

This may seem silly but I’ve got a few questions about quarantine tanks. 

1.  When done with them do you just take them down or keep them running?

2. If you keep them running do you just add an ammonia source like bottles ammonia or drop so food in to decay?

3. Do you change the water after in between or after you take the fish out if nothings wrong with them or as long as the water quality is good you just leave it?

4. Do you let algae go crazy in there?

5. Do you let plants grow or just keep it bare bottom and fake decorations?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions but these are the once im curious about now. Thank you

• Like 1

I run several small holding tanks. I say if you can keep at least 1 tank running, do it. One of my tanks has snails in it so they keep the cycle going. All of my tanks have sponge filters from my established tanks. I have back up sponge filters so when I want to start one of my QT tanks for somebody that has no snails in it I would pull a sponge from established tank and put it in. (Some meds crash a cycle anyway so I might decide to keep the sponge in the holding tank and just do a complete water change). Mine are all bare bottom but they all have a shelter for the fish, a piece of wood and live plants. I say yes to the algae as who knows what might end up in there, I recently had to QT 3 Nerites while I treated another tank. 

Sorry to hear that. I just battled that in one of my tanks and *knock on wood* just completed medication. I don't run heaters in any tanks but I keep them when it's needed for disease treatment. Here's the messed up thing for me, the tank that had it- well it runs between 78-81 degrees all on its own. I had no options to cool the tank. they made it though. Since all my tanks are in the same room they run within a degree or 3 within each other. I think this is best so as not to shock the fish and I can slowly raise the temp when needed. I don't have an option for cooling really. Unless I move a holding tank to a colder room. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

I have a bunch of rams, nerites, and mysteries. So I should take them out too? Hopefully this gets my bladders under control. I was reading up on Furan and Seachems own site says it’ll mess up BB. Did you have this issue? Also multiple sources say KanaPlex is less effective in softer water. Do you know if that’s true? 

I would pull them if I were in your shoes, I just don't like to risk them. If it kills BB off that to me is a concern for them. I used to have some bladders in the tank I treated haven't seen any in weeks but that could also have been from whatever the tank had/has too. Who knows! 

I have medium hard water so kanaplex wasn't a concern for me. I planned on the Furan killing my BB so I got some gimicky Aqueon PURE little bio balls to drop in the thank for when I did my water change after the last meds. Don't know if it works but I'm not having any issues so far. 

Do you mean the little jello bio things that says it’s BB? I was thinking about swapping out my filter sponges for new ones except for just one but I’m worried that if I do that it’ll hold the stuff I’m trying to get rid of and bring it back. I took my old Sponge filter out and put it in my quarantine tank for my new fish before I knew what was happening. Is there a chance it brought over the crap to my new fish?

Well this sucks. I guess I might as well just toss the new fish in the 29 gallon and treat the whole tank. I don’t think the 10 can handle all the fish I have. This way I can toss the snails in the quarantine tank. 

29 gallon 

16 cardinal tetras

10 harlequins

7 Pygmy corries 

6 kuhli loaches 

2 mysteries

3 nerites

rams and bladders 

10 gallon 

6 kuhlis

2 pygmy corries

4 ottos

This is sadly your call my friend. These bacteria/fungus/parasites hang out in our tanks all the time they could all end up being fine. When one fish is stress/injured or compromised it can start a domino effect. Just like my last little outbreak it only effected some and not others. I medicated because it was there and the potential was real. 

What I can say is you can keep the 10 going with the new fish if they're not showing signs and do the med trio in there as it's snail and invert safe (so put the snails there). 

That’s a good point. I think I’m gonna run to the store later today to get these meds and keep checking on the fish to see if anything changes with them and go from there. I don’t like doing the trio off the bat unless they show signs of anything. I’m on the boat of medicating for no other reason then to medicate breads medication resistance but now that I have the possibility of something happening I might. 

Colu just responded back and I’m seeing what he has to say on that but I’m gonna sleep on that regardless and see how everything goes. I tossed some salt in the tank and lowered the tank temp to 72° for now. I hope I don’t lose anything but my biggest worry is my Kuhlis as they’re my favorite and hard to get right now where I’m at. 

• Like 1