more bristlenose woes

Mark H.

3 months into breeding with minimal problems, even sold a few, and lost 3 separate tanks of fry ranging from 2 weeks to 3 months in age in the last week. all are from same male, 3 different females 

tank 1: 20 gallon long, ~40 3 month old fry. died over a 3 day period half before and half after a water change. temp 72, heater controller failure or too small. first winter with this tank. nitrates were high, perhaps 80 on the test strip, it was 40 after 50% water change. a different tank with this same spawn is fine. I did drop a mystery snail in right before this happened. I was trying to save him, having problems breathing after I had to medicate a different tank after some fool tried to get away without a quarantine, there were 50% losses in that tank.  Snail is still alive. so I at least succeeded there.

tank 2: 10 gallon, 30-6 week old fry all died today, no nitrates, 75 deg, I did water change yesterday and moved some corys in to help with food debris. 

tank 3: 10 gallon, 20-2 week old fry all missing a week ago, even noticed a few dead trumpet snails, no nitrates, 75 deg this was a week ago, chalked it up to infant mortality

water is well, softened because of the dissolved iron, 0 GH, 300+ KH, PH 7.6, this is unchanged as far as I know.

I don't test for ammonia, tanks have a lot of plants, so almost always next to 0.

all tanks also have bronze corydoras and mystery snails that are alive

What can wipe out BN that quickly and efficiently? Three other fry tanks and 2 breeders still ok.

On 11/22/2021 at 6:57 PM, Colu said:

It sounds like a water quality issue I would get an ammonia test high levels of nitrates can affect fish immune system cause loss of appetite and colour

I have the kit, just got lazy. 
0 ammonia in the only tank that hasn't had a change yet.

Nitrate tested 100 with the liquid kit, despite the test strip reading very light pink.

thanks for the kick, just surprised that the BN succumbed first.

@Coluthe good news is that you saved ~20 fry from tank #2. They liked the 75% water change, didn't notice them while siphoning out the dead earlier. 

I had convinced myself that it was bacterial or parasitic. time to work on my water changed 🙂

I may have to go back to using my master test kit more often.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:22 PM, Mark H. said:

Nitrate tested 100 with the liquid kit, despite the test strip reading very light pink.

thanks for the kick, just surprised that the BN succumbed first.

I have found my BN to be very nitrate sensitive.  My BN fry even more so which makes it tough with the high waste they produce. I do 50% daily Wc and vac and only lose 2-4 out of 50-70/ hatch.