Flashing fish post loss of another today

OnlyGenusCaps

I've got some pupfish in a 75.  Yesterday there were 8, today, 7.  One of the males was thin and on his way out.  I attributed this to the ratio being 5 males to 3 females, and he was the smallest, thus being bullied.  Or this is what I thought.  Today I noticed another male flashing on driftwood and the sides of the tank.  At first I thought he might be fighting his reflection, but not on the driftwood and gravel obviously.  So, now I'm at a bit of a loss.  Do I medicate the 75?  If so, toss it all in, i.e. MedTrio?  I know flashing can be caused by a lot of things so normally I'd wait and watch a bit.  But...

1. I just lost another fish in the tank
  2. I am headed out of town for a few days starting this weekend
  3. these fish are extremely rare not just in the hobby but nearly extinct, so I feel the need to help keep them going

I'd sure like to get your take @Colu, if you don't mind. 

Oh right, and water parameters (according to the breeder I got them from, I'm pretty spot on for conditions):

Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate = 0/0/<5

pH = 7.8

Hardness = real hard

Temp = 25.5C

• Sad 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:06 PM, Colu said:

Are they eating ok and is it just the Frist one that died that had lossed weight and how long have had them before they started showing symptoms

I've had them for just over a month.  When they arrived several of the breather bags had popped, and so I went from 12 to 9, with one of the survivors being largely out of water.  That one I revived carefully over the course of 3 hours, but lost her a few days later.  Then, we've been good for a month. 

Then two days ago I noticed the smallest male was getting quite thin.  Paid special attention to him while feeding, and he didn't even bother chasing anything.  He wasn't flashing.  But he was hanging out around the top, and anytime when got too close to the others they chased him a bit (they are a fairly aggressive with each other).  So he mostly hid.  I kind of knew he was on his way out yesterday, and sure enough today I found I was right.

Today, I was of course fussing over them more.  And I noticed the male flashing on stuff.  I could be overly concerned here.  There is a real chance of that.  But, I've already lost 5 this first month, and though the first 4 were not my fault, I don't want to cause needless death in these rare little fish.

No other fish in the tank.  Brand new tank.  I did manage to get ramshorn snails in there somehow though.  Buggers.

Everyone left, including the flasher (that sounds dirty) are eating well. 

Any thoughts you have would be most welcome.  Thanks!

What your describing could be a parastic infection hanging at the surface flashing can be a sign of gill flukes  as gill flukes eggs can hatch in as little as 4 days at temperatures over 70  it's could that your fish are start to get a heavier parasite load on the gills that why you could be starting to lose fish and see some flashing I would treat with paracleanse as your still losing fish just be on the safe side @OnlyGenusCaps

Edited by Colu
Edit
  • Thanks 1

Well, I've added API General Cure (Paracleanse wasn't available to me today because Twin Cities Guppies was closed, so I went to "big box store", I'll get some Paracleanse from the Coop which will be here by the time I get back for the second round in a few weeks).  I also added a bit of IchX, because flashing can be early stage ich, and I'll be out of town.  So, that's where it is at.  I'll update once I am back and know more. 

So, it looks like the little guy who was flashing is on his way out.  He is no longer eating, and he is hiding.  Same thing that happened with the last one.  Here is hoping the meds prevent spread and further loss.  🤞

Here is my dilemma that I would like input on.  Because I am leaving town for 5 days tomorrow, that fish is nearly 100% certain to die while I am away.  I am currently without an acceptable QT (yes, I know - you can't give me a lecture I haven't given myself today).  I'm trying to figure out how to let him die.  Do I let him die in the tank and possibly further infect the other fish and cause issues with the water quality, or does he go into the tank with the snails where at least when he dies he will be eaten?  I think he would prefer to go in his home, but I think there is a danger to the other fish if he does.  Thoughts? 

Well @Colu, I got your message after I left.  The fish in the tank died.  Upon my return from my trip, I have 4 healthy, 1 now doing the hang out near the top and don't eat thing, and the last one sitting on the bottom waiting for death.  I'm going to hit them with another round, this time Paracleanse (Thanks Aquarium Coop for delivering it right on time even during the holidays!!!).  That said, I'm not holing out might hope.  I think I am about to see my prized fish group slowly dwindle and die off. 

I think at this point, I'll do what I can but expect to drain the tank.  In addition to drying everything over the winter, what else should I do to clean the tank?  I hesitate to bleach anything.  It would be a lot of peroxide to clean it.  Are the rocks, sand, gravel, driftwood salvageable in any way shape or form?

Sorry for all of the questions.  I don't know what is killing them, and I don't want it to stick around if I can get these precious fish again.  Also, I want to find a way to save that unusual BBA I have without keeping the disease.  Any chance that might work?

• Sad 1

What I would do a treat with Fritz Expel p in between treatments of paracleanse as Expel p is 24hr treatment followed by a water change I then you can do another course of paracleanse as for sterilising your tank I use a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to clean the tank then  I clean the tank with dechlorinated water and leave the tank empty for 8 weeks