Scheme with me: Weight on a counter overhang?

CalmedByFish

@meadeam's thread got me plotting:

My tank will be a max of 350 pounds when full. The footprint is 35x15. 

My kitchen counter has 1 spot where the footprint would fit. The whole 35" can be over supports, but not the 15". Looking at the 15" side, a full 4" would be on a overhang, rather than above a vertical support.

That means: 1/3 of the tank weight would not be directly over supports. In other words, as much as 117 pounds on the overhang. 

This is the 1" thick acrylic tank made by the dude who made Murphy's tank. It will not break. 

BUT could that stress compromise the counter? (I'm renting, so this is not my counter to break!)

On 11/17/2021 at 5:08 PM, CalmedByFish said:

This is the 1" thick acrylic tank made by the dude who made Murphy's tank. It will not break. 

BUT could that stress compromise the counter? (I'm renting, so this is not my counter to break!)

So the extra 4" are supported by countertop, it's just that the countertop extends beyond the framing on the edge, correct?  It sounds pretty ok to me.  117lbs really shouldn't be a problem for the countertop alone, but the acrylic is going to provide extra rigidity.  Not that you would ever attempt it, but you could probably hang the tank itself 4" over the edge and be ok.

On 11/17/2021 at 4:11 PM, s1_ said:

What is the countertop material?

Looking from underneath, here's what I see.

The countertop is either 1 panel of wood, or 2 panels, that run the length of the counter. That wood is 5 horizontal layers tightly sealed together, rather than being a single solid slab. 

The panel(s) are held up by what appear to be vertical 2x4's. On the overhang side, the panel isn't flush with the top of the 2x4. In the exact spot where the panel ceases to be in contact with the 2x4, the panel has a tiny crack. The panel dips a tiny bit, with the lowest part being at that crack.

On the far edge of the overhang, I can make the wood slab rise a couple millimeters by pushing up hard with my thumb. And I can pull the top surface of the countertop downward toward the wood panel, as if the surface material doesn't quite contact the wood panel it's on. 

On 11/17/2021 at 4:23 PM, meadeam said:

So the extra 4" are supported by countertop, it's just that the countertop extends beyond the framing on the edge, correct?  It sounds pretty ok to me.  117lbs really shouldn't be a problem for the countertop alone, but the acrylic is going to provide extra rigidity.  Not that you would ever attempt it, but you could probably hang the tank itself 4" over the edge and be ok.

Correct. The extra 4" would be on countertop, but the countertop extends beyond the framing. 

Can you re-word or explain the part about the acrylic providing extra rigidity? I don't understand.

20 minutes later...

I marked a potential weak spot on the wood so I could tell whether it shifted. Then I parked myself on it and did that "try to make it break" shimmy-bouncy thing we all do. I even hung off a certain spot by my elbows until my biceps shook. 😂 The markings look the same, and I didn't feel or hear anything that indicates weakness. 

Unless a knowledgeable nerm speaks up to tell me I shouldn't, I'll put the tank in place, and just add 5 gallons per day, meticulously watching for anything like bending of the countertop, tiny cracking in the wood panel under the countertop, etc.

• Like 2

Get a straightedge and a helper. Put the straightedge on the countertop extending out onto the part that overhangs, then have someone that weighs at least the 117 pounds sit right on the edge of the counter and see if the counter top deflects any, meaning creates a gap under the straightedge. If it does I might be worried. If it doesn't (and I'll bet it don't) I wouldn't give it another thought. Especially with the way that tank is built.

Edited by Ken
can't type
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2021 at 5:33 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Can you re-word or explain the part about the acrylic providing extra rigidity? I don't understand.

The rigidity of the tank is providing additional structure.  In order to deflect that  4" of overhang, the tank itself would have to flex, or a majority of its mass would have to be on the overhang. 

On 11/17/2021 at 5:44 PM, meadeam said:

The rigidity of the tank is providing additional structure.  In order to deflect that  4" of overhang, the tank itself would have to flex, or a majority of its mass would have to be on the overhang. 

So because the tank is stiff as a rock, and 2/3 of its weight will not be on the overhang, the tank would stay up firmly by its 2/3, even if the overhang gave way. Right?

On 11/17/2021 at 4:52 PM, CalmedByFish said:

So because the tank is stiff as a rock, and 2/3 of its weight will not be on the overhang, the tank would stay up firmly by its 2/3, even if the overhang gave way. Right?

Yes. If it were me I would go get a stool and jump my 180# behind up and down on that edge and call it good. I've actually bought thrift store "tank stand" furniture that way.

You have already worried really a lot more about it than I ever would have. I was offering a method to measure it so you could see that it will be fine.

Edited by Ken
  • Haha 2