White Fuzz On Java Moss?

Richie

Hello!  I’ve had a my planted tank set up for about a month now and everything seemed to be going fine until this. I’m not sure what it is or if it’s dangerous.  All of my water parameters are within the range they’re supposed to be and I run a weak light for 12 hours a day.  Is anyone able to identify this and help me get rid of it?

EBE41299-FC78-4B12-930F-3E1C46C2C409.jpeg

On 11/17/2021 at 8:02 AM, Richie said:

Hello!  I’ve had a my planted tank set up for about a month now and everything seemed to be going fine until this. I’m not sure what it is or if it’s dangerous.  All of my water parameters are within the range they’re supposed to be and I run a weak light for 12 hours a day.  Is anyone able to identify this and help me get rid of it?

EBE41299-FC78-4B12-930F-3E1C46C2C409.jpeg

Looks like hair algae, which grows quite well in dim light (as Zenzo said).

This algae is a good part of why I decided to try Dr Diana Walstad's siesta method, and unless I overfeed (like the first week or so after taking fish into my lfs), I really don't see this anymore in my tanks *with one exception*

Even with the siesta method, I still see a little green hair algae at the 6 month mark. It just doesn't take over, as the snails devour it once they find it.

• Like 1