Question: single stage co2 working pressure

HotTunaCartel

I was finally able to get a co2 tank yesterday to start running my greenleaf single stage co2 system.  

So here is my dilemma.  I watched a ton of videos and researched prior to ordering it now setting it up I'm a bit confused. 

Here goes my process.  Please correct me if I'm doing something wrong at some stage. 

1. open valve on co2 bottle. 

2. adjust working pressure to 30psi 

3. adjust bubble counter and run say 3 bubbles per second.  

4. after I open the needle valve the working pressure starts to drop to below 10psi and the bubble counter slows down.

5. readjust the working pressure back to 30psi and readjust the needle valve to readjust to 3bps. 

I'm not sure if this is correct of if I'm doing something wrong.  I though once you open the working pressure that the bps should stay the same as that is past the working pressure valve.  I did check for leaks and did not find anything.  

I do have a citric acid/baking soda single stage generator on my smaller tank but the working pressure never moves on that one.  

any help would be great

Thanks

On 11/9/2021 at 1:27 PM, Zenzo said:

I adjust my tank and regulator with the valve open. This way I can count the bubbles and make micro adjustments with the system running to optimize it. 

Looks like its all good now.  Wrapped some tape around the inlet and outlet of the bubble counter and disassembled everything and made sure the regulator was close to vertical before I tightened down the nut on the regulator.  Holding at 25psi now for the last 30 mins with 1pbs. 

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

The working pressure on my regulator doesn't change when I open or move the needle valve unless the tank itself is getting low on co2. 

A few of the regulators I was looking at had that feature where it just pins it to a specific psi on the outlet pressure.  

On 11/10/2021 at 11:27 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Have you researched the potential down side of single stage regulators?

FYI, dual stage prevent end of tank dump. It might be better to exchange it for a dual stage option.

I have, but I figure I'll do the same with acetylene and oxygen when I used to work at the dealership.  We had tons of tanks in the oil storage room and after a while you can feel where the level is.  Could also get a cheap scale and measure filled weight vs low co2 weight.  I work from home so this is quite easy to check daily.  

• Like 1