Natural Population Control

My sons tank is being overrun by black mollies and I’ve been thinking about a natural approach to population control. I’d had a female kribensis in there and the population stayed low but I think she and the honey gourami had it out and she lost. The honey gourami may need to find a new spot as she’s not helping keep the population and she’s a killer. Now I’m mulling over options - wondering what people think about Bolivian Rams vs Killifish maybe Blue Gularis or Striate. Appreciate peoples thoughts and replies. 

Between Bolivian rams and Killifish I'd go with Killis. I think the Killis will do a better job keeping the population in check, however, I used Gardneri Killis in the past with guppies and platys and had alot of nipped find on the adults. 

Right now my  livebearer population control is done by a pair of microctenopoma.

Edited by MAC
  • Love 1

I think killis would do it for population control, but they may go for your adults too--They took on full grown guppies and won in one of my experiments.  I've had good success with angelfish for my livebearers, but not sure about your tank size.

• Thanks 1

She’s a honey sunset female, I’ve had her for a couple years, she’s gone through 3 mates. There’s an exception to every rule and shes it. The happiest she is is when I put her in a pond over the summer. A5B5F6AA-3711-4CBA-9804-FBA4531FBDA8.jpeg.f2387f15c89a5fee4b780572249937b8.jpeg

I ended up grabbing a Krobia xinguensis, only ever seen them online in Aquarium Glaser ads. Impulse buy I suppose. If it doesn’t work out I guess I could move him and put in a pair of the F. Gardneri I just won in Aquabid auction. Here’s a pic online and a pic of the little fella. 
A24E43F1-651A-41BB-AF85-4DCDC4D4161B.jpeg.1d0dcbb38acfa74b36913ffd8ad21cd0.jpeg1EA7ECF2-6B20-4428-9BC7-BD4524D5B019.jpeg.fce20d9b092670f0da830684295a66ee.jpeg

He’s pretty tiny. About 1.75”. When he gets amongst the plants I can’t see him. Very camouflages. 

My bolivian ram keeps my endler livebearer population down considerably. But if your having a large population control issue I would stick with a predatory fish like killifish. The Golden wonder is pretty hardy and predatory, but I have heard it wont eat anything larger that 2 inches. One thing to keep in mind is that killifish are incredibly hard to find. The golden wonder is at most lfs and chain stores, but the other varieties are really rare. You might have luck buying eggs online and hatching them. 

• Thanks 1

I'm in a similar situation with an overabundance of black mollies.  I like them and will always want to keep them, but I need to keep the population under control.  I've been considering a Gourami of some variety, or  a Koi Angel.  I've never kept Angels as I've always had nano tanks.  My largest is a 29, which I think is the smallest size recommended for them.  I'll keep an eye on this thread for other interesting options,