Deciding on final plant for tank makeover

Im redoing my 20 tall this weekend (changing substrate and hardscape, keeping fish) and would like advise on the final plant. I have a tiger lotus bulb and some crypts from the previous scape i will try to salvage but i want on final plant to fill out the rest of the tank. The plants i current have my eye on are chain sword, dwarf hairgrass, and microsword. I have never kept any of these plants so i am curious which id have the most success with if any. The tank is a 20 tall w/ a nicrew classicLED light hard water, and inert substrate. The stocking is mollies, neon tetras, and a bn pleco. The temp is around 78°.

Microsword is the only plant on your list that I’m growing. It’s pretty easy but since it grows slow it tends to get some black beard algae in some spots and looks scrappy. It seems to attract less algae with less light but still grows ok. Here’s a pic from my little three gal with lots of shade and low lightimage.jpg.5754f6d7e5e0a920d2fdfb64c509eb16.jpg

• Thanks 1

Pygmy chain sword (Helanthium tenellum) has worked very well for me.  It stays short and will get very dense, especially with good light (even low tech).  Mine isn’t super dense in moderate light where I have too many red root floaters above it.  It gets denser with more light. It also produces enough runners that you only need to steer them back into the middle to keep it dense or let it spread if you’re trying to get it over a wider area.

I have not tried to grow the other 2 since I’ve been happy with the pygmy chain sword.  You can see it here in the center front of this new redo on my 29 G.  I planted them on Aug 29 (first pic from just over 2 months ago), about a dozen starts from another tank.  The second pic is from Oct 19.  I’m just about to start turning the runners back into the center later this week or next.

2660068D-5F81-4AAB-AD0F-0ADC8E36F729.jpeg

970D9BFC-F7CB-4253-B6CC-88853F0A38EA.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Add other pic.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1