Shrimp keeping

MarknTn

A couple of years ago I saw some Cherry shrimp at my local fish shop and decided that I had to try shrimp. I have been keeping fish for decades so I didn't think that shrimp would be too difficult. I bought some and added them to a 10 gallon that had been running for about a year with some small tetras in it. Wasn't long and there were no shrimp. Since then I have watched countless videos on Youtube from various people, talked with my local shop and have been reading on here. I have seen baby shrimp twice in the last year but my numbers are not growing. 

Currently that tank is shrimp only except for the snails that I try to keep from taking over. I am running a sponge filter that I purchased from Aquarium Co-op, no heater, live plants (java fern, hornwort, and some type of Anubis). Using the test strips I got from Aquarium coop I am getting these readings

Nitrate between 25-50

Nitrite - 0

Hardness GH - shows 300, might be more

Hardness KH - 80

PH - 7- 7.2

Are my Nitrates too high? 

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. 

I’ve gone through my share of shrimp keeping growing pains over the last year. For me they’re not easy, but I have one tank with a stable population and one tank with a breeding colony that is slowly growing. It looks like your parameters are good. I’d double check the GH/KH against the API tests. My test strips seem to read higher than they should based on my tap water plus what I add to raise GH/KH. You might be a bit low. One bit of advice I’ve heard a few times is to start off with a lot of shrimp. There seems to be a critical mass needed to start a colony.  I know they’re not cheap, but deals can be had from local breeders. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 5:22 PM, Patrick_G said:

One bit of advice I’ve heard a few times is to start off with a lot of shrimp. There seems to be a critical mass needed to start a colony.  I know they’re not cheap, but deals can be had from local breeders. 

That's great advice. I have a very heavily planted 5g I want to add shrimp to. I figure if I don't get a lot to start, I'll never see any of them! The downside to such a plant-packed tank is I don't think I'll be able to find any that die should that happen. How many should I start out with this time? 

On 11/1/2021 at 1:15 AM, MarknTn said:

I do have the API GH/KH testing kit. I will check with that and reply with what I find out. I have the same question as Jennifer, How many is a lot to start with?

I think group or 15-20 neocaridina shrimp could be a way to go. 

I have been keeping shrimp for few years now and in my experience they do love a well established and heavy planted tanks. While you may not see many shrimps, they just feel safe hiding in java moss, hornwort and they would also appreciate floating plants like salvina.

Leave some space on the bottom of the tank and place feeding dish there. Give it some time and once your shrimp gets comfortable you will see plenty of life there 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 6:22 PM, Patrick_G said:

One bit of advice I’ve heard a few times is to start off with a lot of shrimp. There seems to be a critical mass needed to start a colony.

Related to that, I've heard it helps to use a tank with a small bottom. The idea is that if the boys don't need to go far to find the girls, they're more likely to succeed. 

• Like 1